Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Only offered downgraded Fibre package

Go to solution

Hi 

I currently have I have BT SUPERFAST FIBRE 2 UNLIMITED with download speeds of around 42mbps and upload of 7.5mbps which I'm perfectly happy with - but my 18 month contract is about to expire and when I go to renew the best I'm being offered by BT is SUPERFAST FIBRE ESSENTIAL UNLIMITED which is forecast to be 24-34mpbs/5-7mbps which is clearly worse than I have currently. 

If I look at (say) PlusNet or EE they don't offer their fastest packages and are offering mid-range packages with similar speeds as BT at renewal (i.e. 24-34 and so worse than I have now).

So my question is, how do I manage to keep my 40+mbps speeds at renewal ?

TIA

Neil

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Only offered downgraded Fibre package

Go to solution

did you try the options team for a better deal  0800800030

with the speeds you are quoting then superfast 2 seems pointless as you cannot even get superfast 1 max speed

enter phone number and post result  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

First of all you are wasting your money with Superfast 2 if your line is only capable of 42Mbps. Superfast fibre essential has a speed cap of 40Mbps so for a speed drop of only 2Mbps you will have a cheaper service. There is however a monthly 30GB data cap.

Speak to the options team on  0800 800 030 and see what they say.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

2019-03-18_165156.gif

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks for your advice - and I'll chat to the options team but just to be clear, if I move to Superfast Fibre Essential Unlimited (details below copied from my renewal page) then I should still get broadly the same performance ? If Superfast Essentials is limited to 40mbps then I don't really mind, I just don't want to go to 23-34.

From MyBT:

"The best deal for you, based on what you have now
SUPERFAST FIBRE ESSENTIAL UNLIMITED
Your download speed range 23Mb - 34Mb
Upload speed range 5Mb - 7Mb
Your minimum download speed 21Mb"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Your line will operate at whatever speed it is capable of unless capped by the package you opt for. The cap for essentials is 40M, Superfast1 55M and Superfast2 80M.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
I would be more concerned about the data cap on essential package as cost of exceeding your data limit is extortionate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.