Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Open Reach alternatives

I am having serious problems getting BT/Open Reach to deliver on providing a fibre line to my new build house.  Having been told I had a line in early November, the latest I have is that I might "have a date" on 19 December.  Completely useless and despite dealing with the highest level of complaint at BT I still don't know if there is going to be broadband to the house for Christmas (or frankly even at all).  No-one has really explained the problem and I don't know why it is taking so long (my guess is that OR are just way behind and useless).  Does anyone know if there is a private company I can pay to sort things out?  in 2018, it surely cannot be that in a first world country we are at the whim of a monopoly company that you cannot call directly who don't seem to have a care in the world about fixing a serious problem or trying to do so in a timely manner or provide the customer with update information.  There is no sense of urgency or care.   It is like we are in the 1970s.  All ideas appreciated.  

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Open Reach alternatives

Welcome to this user forum.

Openreach (Its not BT Openreach), have to justify the cost of installing any new infrastructure, and a lot depends on how may orders they are likely to get from Service Providers like BT Retail, Sky TalkTalk, etc.

Other infrastructure providers are often not interested.

Do you already have a working BT Retail phone line?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thanks.  It is a new build house on a development of 100+ properties. My understanding from the developers is that Open Reach (who are providing the fibre) have been farcically bad from the beginning of the process for lots of the tenants - the development is gradually filling up.  My question was whether I am basically stuck with them (and their appalling customer service, approach and general levels of competence) or whether I could pay someone else to come in and solve the problem.  I move in next week and have been told I may get some news (although it is unclear what sort of news) on the 19th.  The stress levels of dealing with these idiots are exceptionally high and the systems for doing so ridiculous.  I would happily pay hundreds of pounds to get someone trustworthy to do the job if that was "allowed" or are we in a 1970s monopoly situation and I just have to be at their whim?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

this sounds more like a breakdown between the developer/site manager and openreach and is a common theme on the forum  site managers more often blame openreach and get the new owners involved rather than the people who have the contract and are openreach clients - the developers - get involved  this just leads to posts like yours

I think openreach have the contract to supply FTTP to the development so I would very much doubt you can involve a 3rd party to install fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Its really down to co-operation between the developers, and Openreach, as ducts have to be in place for Openreach to run the cables in. Sometimes these ducts get damaged, or blocked with cement, and have to be replaced.

It does sound like its going to be FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) which seems to be normal for new builds. That can be more involved, as equipment has to be installed in the properties as well.

You do not have any option apart from using Openreach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

There are alternatives such as Virgin Media, Hyperoptic and others but it comes down to cost, there is no monopoly if Openreach are the only ones who choose to provide the service, It's not that others can't provide the service, they choose not to, usually because it's so expensive and filled with bureaucracy to obtain permissions such as wayleaves, permits, road closures etc.

So unless another company choose to offer services then you've no option but to use the Openreach network, other alternatives are available but are costly or don't cater for all.
4G mobile broadband options exist but I've not seen any that offer unlimited, I think EE do a 300GB plan for £70 per month, no phone service included.
Satellite broadband is also really expensive and has huge latency which almost rules out online gaming and other time sensitive activities.

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Thanks for the response.  The development is pretty much finished, there is a 'line' to my house but according to the engineer who visited weeks ago it is the wrong line or something and it is a "10 minute" job to fix.  My problems is that I am having to wait weeks and weeks to get any sense of progress.  I was told they were "running behind" by a BT customer service rep too.  So all a bit desperate and I know a number of other people on the development have had major problems too.  It sounds to me from the responses on this forum that I am just stuck with them and have to wait for them to get round to me - at their own ridiculous pace.

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Depressing - but thanks.  Not good for the future of our competitiveness as an economy either...!

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Thanks for the response.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

if, from what you say, there are others on your development with similar problems to yourselve then surely as a group you can complain to the developer who is the openreach customer and get them to push openreach to complete the work  You have no contract with openreach hence why communication with openreach is basically being ignored  Bt Retail just like TT or Sky will also have little say in how fast openreach instal the fibre as they are only really involved once the FTTP is connected to your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.