cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 17

Re: Open Reach alternatives

Have you dealt with the FTTP team yet as they may have more info for you? 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 12 of 17

Will give that a go - thanks. Can't believe it needs to be this complicated!
0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Yes - thanks. I have been dealing with them, the "Chairman's office", the developer and anyone else who will listen as it is so stressful and I am desperate. And unfortunately I still don't know when/if a working fibre connection to my new house will be available. I expect I will be without broadband over Christmas and no-one will bother about it....hence my sense that if I could hire my own qualified engineer to speed things up, I would!
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 14 of 17

@jdonaldson1wrote:

Depressing - but thanks.  Not good for the future of our competitiveness as an economy either...!

I fully agree competition is a good thing, the problem is the cost, there are no companies willing to shell out billions to provide infrastructure, nationally you have BT or Virgin Media, apart from that the rest are niche providers with tiny footprints and tiny areas of cover.

I doubt we'll ever see any rivals, who would invest in a company that would take years to turn a profit, Virgin Media increased their coverage under 'project lightning', they invested over 3 billion pounds to add around 4 million new homes and will estimate it will take 5 years, from the start it was dogged by issues.

0 Ratings
jdonaldson1
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

It is such an important offer as part of a modern economy it should probably be nationalised and be a major "national" investment. More important than HS2 etc. to have a decent fibre backbone in the UK post-Brexit.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 16 of 17

Hi @jdonaldson1,

Have you tried searching for wireless providers in your area ?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

There is a Fibre Backbone in the U.K. There has been for decades. It’s managed by BT Technology and Service Operations.

All the Network Providers like Openreach and Virgin Media connect their Networks into it.
0 Ratings