cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grimshawsa
Message 1 of 10

OpenReach has wrong database info

Hi,
We live in a new build development and moved in August 2015. When we moved in we were able to have FTTC with Sky and had that for a couple of years before moving to Virgin Media. I am looking around now for other deals but when I use the postcode checker with any supplier it says I can only have standard broadband. This is despite us having had it previously and houses on the other side of the street served by the same cabinet (37) are eligible for FTTC. This makes no sense. How do I rectify this please?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: OpenReach has wrong database info

It doesn't show because there is no (nor has been)  active BT phone line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

You can only get the database corrected by applying for a phone service from a provider who uses Openreach, or if you already have a landline phone provider, they can request an update.

0 Ratings
Grimshawsa
Message 4 of 10

It there has an been active phone BT line at the address as we previously had sky fibre via a BT line at the same address.
0 Ratings
Grimshawsa
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Keith, is it possible to switch to a new supplier accepting the slower speed initially and then get them to correct the database so I can have fibre?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@Grimshawsa wrote:
Thanks Keith, is it possible to switch to a new supplier accepting the slower speed initially and then get them to correct the database so I can have fibre?

Yes.

0 Ratings
Grimshawsa
Message 7 of 10

What steps would I take with my new supplier to get the database changed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@Grimshawsa wrote:
What steps would I take with my new supplier to get the database changed?

Place an order for a phone line. Once you have an active phone number, the database will be updated.

0 Ratings
Grimshawsa
Message 9 of 10

Excuse my ignorance but I’m looking at another provider and they are quoting me a fee for the installation of a line. I already have a bt line from being with sky that is inactive so is this charge jus to reactivate it rather than install it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@Grimshawsa wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but I’m looking at another provider and they are quoting me a fee for the installation of a line. I already have a bt line from being with sky that is inactive so is this charge jus to reactivate it rather than install it?

The charge is raised by Openreach, whichever provider you use. The old external routing would have been re-used for another customer, so a new routing would have to be built.

Your old line would be an Openreach line, not a BT line, as there is no such thing any more. Sky would have rented the wires from Openreach.

0 Ratings