cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisgwynne
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Openreach Modem setup

I have bt home hub 6 but want to switch to Ubiquiti router.

I have an openreach modem that I'm trying to set up. I factory reset it then changed the software so I can access the admin side. It connects to the internet on the modem side, I.e. see up and downstream see that it's set IP address and under diagnostics I can ping IPs.

It's set up in PPPOE mode with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

However connecting it to my desktop computer it wont connect to the internet at all whatsoever no matter what I do. Similarly if I connect it to Ubiquiti USG it wont connect over PPPOE. 

My ipv4 settings on my NIC are 192.168.1.100 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.0 respectively. Have I missed a step anywhere? Whether it be in openreach modem or configuring the NIC Crd wrongly?!

Spent a good few days pulling my hair out over this 😣

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
chrisgwynne
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Openreach Modem setup

When my NIC card is set to obtain details from network and I plug in my HH6 router into my desktop pc I get instant connection to internet. So there's no overall issue with the card.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

The Openreach modem does not need set up. It should be just plug and play. If you have hacked it to access the admin side I would suggest that initially you factory reset it then try and make the connection. This will allow you to ascertain that the modem is working.

If you want to have a connection directly to your PC without a router follow these steps.

To make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the router. 

Step 1: Remove the homehub/router  from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
chrisgwynne
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the reply.

I have just reset my modem, unplugged power, reset, etc etc. Replugging power (green light), plugging into lan1 or lan2 (green light), plug into DSL (no green light). I waited a good 5 minutes, twice, to see if it was me. But modem will not light up for DSL. Yet it did with the hacked version.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Did you buy this modem or did you have it fitted previously and know for a fact that it works?

See link for how to plug modem in.

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/2914527/1362479020/redirect/1/filename/BT%20Infinity%2...

Lan 2 does not work. It must be plugged into Lan1

0 Ratings
chrisgwynne
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

I bought it off eBay. With a hacked version DSL does work and I can ping out from the modems admin page. It will just not connect to the internet when a computer is plugged to it. Literally going to throw it in the bin shortly. 

Not sure what else to do. I have bought a brand new hub 3 which will arrive this week I can put this into bridge mode and it does the same thing, I have read? Ultimately I just want my Ubquiti USG up and running. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I take it you are a BT Fibre Broadband customer?

When you say it will not connect when a computer is plugged into it, I take you are making a direct connection and not using a router?

The HH3 is an ADSLmodem/router, it will not work with fibre without a VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
chrisgwynne
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Yes BT Fibre.

Currently making a direct connection openreach modem to computer. However once I reset it, no DSL came.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Presumably your HH6 still lets you connect to the Internet. ie there is no line fault.

I can only suggest that you to do a further reset of the modem by pressing and holding down the reset button on the back of the modem for at least five seconds then releasing the button and waiting a few minutes for the power light to switch on.

If the DSL light is still off, disconnect the power cable, wait a few minutes then reconnect the power cable and wait. It might take more than the five minutes  you have been waiting for the modem to connect so leave it a bit longer to see if it will eventually connect.

If that doesn't work there are other forum members with more experience of the Openreach modem than I have and they may be able to offer some other advice.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 11

As you have said @gg30340 the Openreach modem is plug & play and the HH3 is a dumb router and cannot connect to VDSL without a modem.

0 Ratings