cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Openreach ONT installed under the stairs - odd place?

Go to solution

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can advise. 

I've moved into a new build property which has the Openreach ONT for Fibre to the Home installed on the wall in the cupboard under the stairs. 
A few people I know who have also moved into new builds have theirs installed in different locations like the living room which seems more ideal. 

I'm wondering if there is a reason it's installed under the stairs? Is this a developer choice or is this the choice of Openreach when they installed it? 
I'm currently thinking about switching from VM to BT FTTH as the service with VM isn't great but the location of the ONT is a little off putting as I'll then need to put the BT router in there as that needs to connect wired to Openreach ONT right?
I have some smart devices which are ethernet only which would mean they would also need to go in there. Are there options with Openreach/BT to move it to a more ideal location? 

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: Openreach ONT installed under the stairs - odd place?

Go to solution

I have the same problem, moved in to a new build in March and the ONT was placed in the upstairs cupboard.

Not only do devices require ethernet but, the TV box also needs ethernet.

The way i got around it was purchasing some powerline adapters from amazon £20ea
Use 1 behind the TV and then run a small 4 port POE switch to connect all other items. 

Seems a bit counter intuitive from Openreach but does the job.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

surprised with new build that there is not a panel near the ONT which distributes ethernet connections throughout your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

@imjollyYou mean this Openreach recommended install by the builder?

2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png

Stins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

@imjolly  No ethernet ports extended to other areas of the house. 

Only a telephone port and a grey ethernet cable hanging out of the ONT in a plastic bag. 

thumbnail_IMG_5684.jpg

@pippincp Does this mean it's not been installed correctly or is it only a recommendation as opposed to compulsory to provide RJ45 ports? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

Nothing to do with Openreach, it's the developer that should provide your internal cabling.

Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I can also confirm i have the same set up as the OP.
Seems like this is work that has to be done post move in.

@Stins I would point out that you can ask openreach for a smaller box if you wish. Mine is the same size as a double socket.

Stins
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution
Thanks! That helps a lot, I'm just wondering if I need to log this with the developer as something that wasn't done. I'm just wondering if there is somewhere that states it should have been done, as in is it compulsory for the developer to have done it.
The developer did offer it as a "bespoke addition" which was extortionate in price so obviously didn't take it.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Mandated as compulsory by whom?

0 Ratings
Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

It was the same for us.
My intention is to wire it in at some point, but the powerline did the trick for the time being (link below if you need one)
In terms of wifi though it works just fine, we have a 3 story town house and it covers all rooms and garden.