cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albax694
Beginner
Message 1 of 44

Openreach engineer confirms I can get Fibre but website checker says no

I live in a small village (Uplawmoor) of approx 500 people that recently became 'active' for fibre installation. I live in a new build estate within this village and have been there for about 6 months, the first person moved into estate approx 12 months ago. I currently have BT phone line and normal broadband (approx 4mb)

I have been waiting for the village cabinet to become 'accepting orders' as ive previously enjoyed fast speeds in my previous home and wanted to return to higher than 0.3Mb upload speed!

For some reason though my postcode, and therefore everyone in our street, is showing on the Openreach checker as still 'Exploring solutions'!?

I therefore cannot get Fibre and any first level operator I speak to at BT basically just checks the same website and says I cant get it. My neighbour round the corner, lives in older house with different postcode, is getting FIbre installed tomorrow.

This morning as I was driving past the exhange, where the green cabinet is, there were 2 Openreach vans there. I asked the engineers if they could confirm we should be active. They confirmed we were active for Fibre as the whole village has now been redirected through the Fibre cabinet. In fact they had personally installed some of the phone lines into the new houses in estate.

They obviously couldnt understand why the Openreach/BT systems dont show this.

I have confirmed its active by checking all the other postcodes/addresses in village and they confirm Active and accepting orders.

Ive tried to call Openreach who tell me they only speak to Service providers. Ive sent them 2 emails via appropriate links and they keep emailing back saying just to check their website checker!

Ive called BT twice and been told to keep checking the Openreach website and they can do nothing further but will 'call me back once they have a response from Openreach'. Still waiting for the next day call back from 10 days ago.

Not sure who I can speak to next. the engineer advised it would be best to get Fibre installed quickly as only 150 slots had been installed in cabinet and they expected them to fill up. 

Im wanting to pay BT more money to get the faster service but they just wont take an order!

Anyone help!?

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: Openreach engineer confirms I can get Fibre but website checker says no

It is possible you are to far from the cabinet to get fibre service or are connected on an exchange only line

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

it is also possible that the cabinet is full and awaiting an upgrade in capacity
0 Ratings
albax694
Beginner
Message 3 of 44

DSL CHECKER.jpgHi john

The DSL checker doesnt show we can get Fibre but i know this is wrong. As others have stated and had solved on this websote there is an error in a database somewhere. My neighbour is further away and can get Fibre. The Openreach engineer confirmed we can get it but the system says No!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

as no cabinet number is shown on the checker this means you are on an exchange only line therefore unable to get fibre service yet and before you ask Openreach will not move your line to a cabinet just to get fibre service
0 Ratings
albax694
Beginner
Message 5 of 44

I get that but the Openreach engineer I personally spoke to at the cabinet this morning confirmed ALL lines including mine  in village now go through cabinet and it sjust a matter of ordering Fibre service??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 44

until that checker states a cabinet number you will not be able to get a fibre service from any provider also the maximum number of line a fibre cabinet can take is 288 so that means that all lines cannot be connected to that cabinet unfortunately the engineers sometimes say things like you heard just to get rid of people asking questions
0 Ratings
albax694
Beginner
Message 7 of 44

They probably do lol!

Is there any chance that checker could be wrong/not up to date though?

I only ask as it literally is just our street that cant get it. Everyone in surrounding streets that have a different postcode can including those further away

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

Contact Openreach with this form and ask what the up to date situation is. If you get an automated reply just keep re-sending and you will eventually get a human response.

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

0 Ratings
albax694
Beginner
Message 9 of 44

Hi, yeah ive done that form twice now. I have had a reply from a human but basically saying to keep checking the website. i have responded asking them to check the database/records and they have replied that it will take approx 25 working days and probably longer while they are busy!

I do genuinely believe with it being a new build house estate and that some addresses are not yet lived in/active it is causing an issue somewhere.

It just wouldnt make sense that a single street would be 'left out' when they are installing the cabinets etc.

As i said i spoke to the engineer and he was very pleasant and explained he had personally installed the phone lines into a number of the houses in my street over past 12 months and they are definetly connected to the same cabinet as the rest of the village

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

The only thing you can do is to keep pestering Openreach. It might just be a database that needs updated. Until Openreach resolve the issue or provide the answer you will not be able to order any fibre service from any ISP as they all rely on the Openreach checker.

0 Ratings