cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 40

Re: Openreach fibre move

Go to solution

Great job second time around, done the way I'd have expected it to be done originally.

resize1662840135651.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 40

Go to solution

I know this is an old thread, but my installation is exactly the same as the original picture, with the overhead coming down the wall and back up the top of the house.

I was surprised to find my neighbours install was simply through the wall, into a small, flat, white rectangular Open Reach "box" on an internal wall with a small cable running to the OTN situated right beside it.

Much neater and less of a cable run than mine.  Is a neater, reinstallation something I can request from BT as a customer? The cables running down the wall and back up again, do look very unsightly.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 40

Go to solution

@SRB 

if it went through wall as you describe is that into a room or just your loft space?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 40

Go to solution

It’s for a good reason that the CSP is external and at low level , that’s where the external fibre dropwire is spliced to the internal optical cable that runs to the ONT , doing the splice at ground level is safer , and should access to it be needed to it for maintenance , it’s easily accessible. The alternative is the CSP at height , but splicing at height is inherently more dangerous or an internal CSP.

Complaining about the aesthetics obviously worked in the OP’s case , but isn’t guaranteed to work in every case  , and as stated if the internal optical cable were required to go into a loft space that wasn’t sufficiently engineer friendly ( fully boarded , a proper staircase to it and well lit ) then there is a good chance it wouldn’t be entered anyway.

OR did (do) sometimes use internal CSP’s  , and presumably in the OP case that was what replaced the external CSP , but then in any ‘fault’ situation, access would be needed inside the property , with an external CSP the optics could be checked irrespective of the consumer being at home or not.

Message 25 of 40

Go to solution

No it's just the cable going from the pole, down their wall and in through a drilled hole on their outside wall into the wall in their living room where there is a small rectangular white box with OPENREACH on it and then the cable out of it, into th  ONT, situated alongside beside a double power socket. 

No big CSP box.

Having looked further along the street, most of the cables  from the fibre ports are just running down the wall and into the houses. There are a few CSP boxes like I have on my house, but most seem to be run in much the same way as the phone lines are.  I had assumed these were installs by Fibrus, rathen than OpenReach, but am now wondering if it's just potluck that you get the CSP or not.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 40

Go to solution

I know why they are there and have no issue at all with the safety aspect, of course it's easier to check without entering the house too, which is fair enough. I'm just curious have they maybe changed the practice of the Big CSP and are going for another more asethetically pleasing approach? Ours is an old Victorian house and it does look a bit of a mess the way the cable runs down and then back up again, if it could have gone in through the wall to the ONT upstairs it would have been a much neater installation.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 40

Go to solution

The first image the OP posted , the one you said was identical to your installation is the standard method of provision, the CSP is grey and the is fixed  onto an exterior wall , the CSP  in detail ( providing the link isn’t removed ) 

https://dexgreen.com/products/fiber-optic-demarcation-box

If some of your neighbours Openreach FTTP has been provided like a copper pair service, where the copper dropwire frequently the house , before it’s ‘converted’ into a cable suitable for an internal run , then that  is not the standard method, it’s those that are irregular, not your , or the OP’s installation.

The dexgreen CSP is the current design used by OR , there was an earlier design of CSP ( still grey to match the rest of the OR plastic duct cover and capping ,and still externally fitted )  it was probably around 50% of the size of the current CSP , but presumably it was replaced for a reason , perhaps your neighbours have had FTTP for some considerable time and have ‘benefited’ from this more aesthetic design 

https://optservices.co.uk/products/csp-customer-splice-point-grey-ofs-logo

Again the link may be removed 

Obviously, other Alt Nets that place their CBT’s ( or equivalent ) onto Openreach poles , and use an overhead method of provision can and do use different equipment suppliers 

Message 28 of 40

Go to solution

You never said if it does just through wall as you would like does that go room on inside or into loft space?

My installation comes from pole to eves of house and enters under eves to my loft conversion where the CSP and ONT are connected

ONT  + internal CSPONT + internal CSP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 29 of 40

Go to solution

Mine goes from the CSP back up to the second floor, through a wall into an upstairs front room office where the ONT is. My neighbours install looks like that picture - cable comes through from outside to living room at street level and into the same rectangular Openreach flat box and cable out to the ONT. No CSP.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 40

Go to solution

the rectangular/oblong box is the csp