cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D00B
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Openreach modem sync speed.

good evening all, I'm sorry if this questions has been answered before in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.

i have recently suffered connection problems with my line and this has been resolved now by an OR engineer. I was given another new HH5 to eliminate the issue, but this was not the problem. Anyway, my connection here out in the sticks is now 12Mbps instead of the faulty line that was giving me 3Mbps.

i have never been a fan of the home hub so I have been using a Draytek 2920 with a OR Medea attached, this has all been working well on the old connection, but I have tried to use it again now I'm on a faster speed and am finding the connection is only syncing at 9Mbps, if I plug the HH5 back in, it goes back to 12. 

The OR modem is an ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B bought off of eBay about a year ago. I know there are hacks and things to see more information, but I'm not too bothered by this.

whilst the engineer was at the house he told me he hated the HH himself and didn't blame me for using a draytek. 

Most people would not be too bothered by losing some speed, but out here you get all you can and a loss of this much is a lot.

is this a known problem with the modems? The reason I use the draytek is I use the loan to lean feature to allow family to VPN to my server, this is something I can't do currently.

any help or thoughts would be great. Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Openreach modem sync speed.

Some modems perform better on some lines than others, it's not so much a fault modem but it couldjudt be the way it uses the frequencies available on your line to sync up gives a slightly lower speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
D00B
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Presumably then the sync from the HH5 is better / different from the OR modem. Would you say another model of the modem would make a difference? Perhaps the huawei version? They are cheap enough on eBay now anyway and if it doesnt work, then I can always sell it on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

On your line it seems so yes, on another line on a different cabinet you may find the opposite.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

It could never be a simple swap could it. I cant do without the Draytek really otherwise I'd stay with the HH. I'll try the other model of modem and see how that fairs.

Like I said before, it might not sound like much of a drop when you are getting 70+Mbps, but for us round here, its a big chuck.

0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I wonder if anyone has an answer to this question, I've not had two standard disconnects both after 5+ days, with each disconnect I've gone from 12Mbps, to 9Mbps and the latest has dropped me to 7Mbps. It seems clear there have been no issues with the line or connection as they are lasting and performing well, so why should I be losing speed with each "arranged" drop out?
0 Ratings
D00B
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Sorry, that should have said I've had two standard disconnects,
0 Ratings