Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Openreach or BT records wrong?

Go to solution

Hi, anyone that can help with this,

OK, this one is a doozy, I'll be talking about other providers for back story, bear with me, it pertains to what is happening now.

Prior to current events, my line has been on exchange only, on the 1st of January this year, Openreach did some "tests" to see if it was viable to put my street on Fibre to the Cabinet, these tests were inconclusive and work was carried out at my local exchange to add more capacity, subsequently Openreach decided that it would be better to just upgrade everyone to Fibre to the Premises instead, however that work is to be completed in August 2020, however, the story becomes more complicated as hindsight is a wonderful thing.

On the 10th of January my line was reported to be Fibre to the Cabinet, Openreach's fibre journey page showed my address (and only my address) as FTTC, so naturally I went to my provider at the time (TalkTalk) and checked if I could order FTTC, no bueno, they didn't have the equipment in the exchange to provide it, so I checked with a few other providers and Vodafone came up as the only other ISP apart from BT that offered FTTC at my address, this raised a few red flags initially but I thought, if the option is there, it's better than ADSL, why not, so I took the plunge and ordered with Vodafone, I get an email a few days later off vodafone saying that the order failed and they've cancelled the order process and everything will go back to the old provider, no biggie I thought, so, I left it a week and everything appeared fine, until the activation date for FTTC with Vodafone, my services were turned off, or at least that's what I thought, I rang up TalkTalk and they said that Vodafone switched it off, fair enough, got on the phone to Vodafone and they confirmed that no order went through and everything was cancelled on their side, so back to talktalk, this to-ing and fro-ing happened for a few days until I just gave up and phoned BT, figured if TalkTalk aren't going to do anything, best to go with a company that values a customer.

So, BT contacted Openreach while I still had service with TalkTalk and fixed my line, no idea how that transpired, but if that's the level of service I get with BT then sign me up, so on the 10th of February, I signed up with BT, activation comes, do a speed test with BT's equipment and it shows TalkTalk? very strange, thought it might just be a 24 hour thing and it needs to settle down, activation day passes and my service just turns off completely, no phone (dial tone non existent), no broadband, nothing, call BT and they say TalkTalk won't release the line, so, after 2 weeks of arguing with TalkTalk to release the line (which they still blame Vodafone for), someone higher up at BT just gave in and just ordered a brand new line installation for free, seeing as I wasn't getting anywhere with TalkTalk, I finally get online with BT on the 12th of March, everything is fine, it works as advertised, a little slower but far more stable, doesn't disconnect devices and hasn't dropped connection as much as TalkTalk, I'm quite happy, so the reason I switched to BT initially is so I can switch to Fibre when it becomes available, but it was available, but with a little more persuasion, I manage to get the records at Openreach sorted to reflect my actual connection availability to Exchange Only, all is good in the world, but 3 months ago, it switched to FTTP coming soon, brilliant, I left it a month or so and checked again, it changed again to Fibre to the Cabinet and I could order it? I didn't want to fall into the mess I previously fell into with the line testing, so I called BT and double checked with them, indeed it seemed that the line was ADSL and NOT FTTC, this remained like this for a couple more months, last month I thought there must be something wrong with the fibre checker or something so I start pestering Openreach via their contact us links, I get a response saying that the records were correct and I can order FTTC, hang on a sec, BT said no, so I check bt.com, and lo and behold, the address checker says it's available, however if I try to place an order, it says the package I requested is not available and shows me "standard deals", fair enough, lets browse those, it shows me FTTC deals, no matter if I choose them or not, the order still fails, something is wrong here.

So, I check the BT Wholesale checker and my number shows as not available, but postcode checker shows ADSL, VDSL and FTTPoD availability, I decided to contact Openreach directly on twitter to try and get some answers to what is happening, they send an engineer out to check how my line is connected physically, they confirm it's running through the cabinet, so they update their records and call me to say I can order Fibre with my ISP, I phone BT, still not able to order, so for the last month I've been phoning weekly to get through to someone from sales saying to wait another week, there's only so many times you can be told to wait before you realise something is wrong, so I ask to be put through to someone who can actually help, I get through to a person from the FTTP team who "have access to Openreach's systems" and confirms that Openreach shows my line as ADSL, not FTTC, he raised a query with inconsistency with his speeds and their speeds, he said wait a week, that was last week, I phoned again today and sales ask me to wait another week, this is getting infuriating, who do I contact to sort this mess out? I'm beginning to think my telephone line is cursed or something..

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Openreach or BT records wrong?

Go to solution

Exchange and postcode. If you don't want to post your postcode on a public forum just PM me.

Using the postcode checker in the BT Wholesale ADSL checker is very unreliable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Sent a PM
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

It looks like you'll have to wait until August 2020 for FTTP. Below is the result for your postcode.

You may be able to get further info from here.

https://gov.wales/go-superfast If you scroll to the bottom there's a contact us link.

2019-07-09 22_33_12-CodeLook.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I see you didn’t actually read anything what I said, I was enquiring whether the existing FTTC was true or not, it’s showing FTTC on my line but I can’t order it. I don’t care about FTTP because I know it’s coming.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

This was the most pertinent part of your post.

I check the BT Wholesale checker and my number shows as not available.

It would also show the last test date in the result. The telephone number checker is the most accurate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

I think @pippincp posts shows there is no fibre available for your post code  - FTTC or FTTP.  you appear to have misunderstood the post in that there is no FTTC  available so you need to wait until 2020 for FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

But both Openreach checker and BT.com both show FTTC is available, which is why I commented on the first place, I don’t care about when I get fibre, doesn’t matter, I’m bothered that my records for my address show two conflicting bits of information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

The address result is not accurate it is a best guess, the postcode checker is a wild guess as the postcode can have more then 1 cabs serving it and EO lines as well. Only the phone number is accurate and only if you have a BT line.

Does the BT Wholesale DSL checker state a cab number when you enter your phone number? If not you are an EO line or you may be too far away from the cabinet or the cab may be full.

According to the info I managed to get (usually reliable) you are an EO line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

I’m not able to upload an image apparently, but the issue is that an openreach engineer confirmed I was running through Cabinet 5 at the exchange, I’m approximately 150m from the exchange as the crow flies, the bt wholesale checker does not show a cabinet number anywhere on the page.

0 Ratings