cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jase888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Openreach - will they move master socket upstairs?

I know this has been covered but theres only threads from 2010 I can see and no definate answers so hoping people can shed some light on this. I am looking at getting BT Infinity and want the master socket moving upstairs, its currently downstairs and want it fed into room above. 

I understand they can do it for a charge but if I get Infinity do they not move it for free? If not then if i feed the wires they need upstairs beforehand to make it simple would they do it?

If not whats the alternatives so i can the router upstairs. Can you extend a those dsl cables around 15-20 metres? I have a little network cabinet upstairs and would really prefer the router to be in there out the way, I know I could just extend a CAT5e cable from the router downstairs to upstairs but its not ideal.

Thanks , 

Jason

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Openreach - will they move master socket upstairs?

yes they can if its infinity2

BUT

depending who installs it (kelly or quinn) then the answer is no.

from the welcome email

Check you've got power near your phone master socket so your engineer can plug in your new Hub . If you haven't, no problem. Your engineer can run an Ethernet extension cable (up to 30 metres long) from where you can plug in your Hub and back to your phone master socket. This extension can only go along walls - not under carpets or floors - so move any furniture away from walls that may need cabling.

my install engineer couldnt wait to leave. he refused point blank to put my hub back upstairs in my bedroom where i also have sky + and my 2 laptops.

he said it would be pointless as i would lose too much signal due to the length of cable.

i said no matter the length it would still be better than continuosly using wifi but he had no intention of doing it.

after the 10 days burn in it had dropped from 54mbps down to 17mbps.

i phoned bt and luckily got through to the uk office and they agreed with me and put a complaint through. within 3 days i had a appology letter and within a week another engineer who agreed also with me.

cable up stairs and new sub master socket installed and had a continuous 52mbps since (except when i lost phone and broadband for a week but thats another story).

0 Ratings
jase888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Ok thanks MrDJ, I guess it probably will depend on what my engineers like. Lets say theres no power socket near the master socket then and I need that extension, if I have already made some holes in the wall and fed some string through so we can pull through the extension in the walls easy rather than feed it around skirting boards would they be ok with that?

Also does that 30m extension cause any reduction within speed?

thanks

0 Ratings
Leg2ion
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Also does that 30m extension cause any reduction within speed? 

It shouldn't do.....

On my original install the engineer put the master socket upstairs (on an existing BT socket that was wired internally), but following a further engineers visit in response to reduced speeds, I was told that the 'Master' was in fact piggybacked off the 'real' master downstairs, where the line entered the property. They ran in a new line to make the new master the real master (if you follow me!) from the point of entry to the upstairs socket, which actually resulted in increased speeds.

In terms of the installation, they ran the new line on the exterior of the property, then backdrilled a hole through the socket backplate to the outside to allow the line back in to the property.

Hope that helps?

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

no idea about the holes but if they are there already then it wont hurt to ask.

at first i was on 54mbps wifi but within the first 10 days it was like a yoyo and lowest was 17mbps.

after cable was laid and after the 10 days burn in im on a continuous 52mbps

so a loss of 2mbps to have a wired connection wich is well worth the sacrifice compared to their not reliable wifi signals.

0 Ratings
SHOLTIE
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Hi, I had my BT infinity installed in Feb 2013. and like you my master socket was downstairs while my study was upstairs.when the BT enigineer arrived i explained whatI wanted and after a bit of hesitation he said that it would not be a problem possibly due to the fact that I already had a hole drilled in the external wall. That I used to run an extension from the master socket to the study.

The master socket is now upstairs and the old master socket is now used as an extension.

My speeds at 10:15 7th october 2014

0 Ratings