Message 11 of 21

Re: Openreach wont drop SNR

Go to solution

It is not possible to change the laws of physics

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution
The flat upstairs had a far worse quality phone line. Without decreasing the quality of your phone line you will not lower the SNR.

SNR stands for 'Signal to Noise Ratio'. Read that phrase and tell us why you think less signal/more noise is better.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

How was the line worse? it was exactly the same!! I managed to get one Openreach guy to do this last summer. He rang up the helpdesk, requested the 3db I was after. Bam I went up from 71 meg to 74 meg. Standard SNR is 6 always, Unless Talk Talk I know like to use 9db. 

I would post a screenshot but the image is too large. But trust me when I say what I am saying.. You lower the SNR to 3db you get more speed. May not seem alot but when your in the sticks like me you will grab anything offered. 

Look I get what all of you are saying but your completely missing my point... When I have been put on a profile that is able to get 73.7meg I expect 73.7 meg... not 67, 70. I want 73.7 meg.

Anyway.. Got an engineer coming Friday so hopefully 3rd time lucky!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

@bkehoe wrote:

SNR stands for 'Signal to Noise Ratio'. Read that phrase and tell us why you think less signal/more noise is better.

Except the figure is SNRm Signal to Noise Ratio Margin, however, the fact remains that when sync speed is at the maximum possible, by definition the SNRm is at its mimimum. End of.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

Look forward to new stats with a 3db noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Will post them when I can

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

This got nasty quickly 😘

Anyway, what they are trying to say is, the system is happy that it has set your line at the maximum achievable speed that you have paid for and will refuse to lower the signal to noise ratio margin as it doesn't see any need to do so.
Your hub stats show that you have a rate of 80mbps so the DLM is not going to lower your SNRM any more.

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

You are getting the maximum speed you are allowed to get to the modem

Maximum data rate:

26025 / 90949

You can't get these speeds, but in theory the link could operate up to them, so there is quite a big margin between your sync speed and the maximum theoretical speed, and therefore quite a big SNRM. For people with bad lines, the system would lower the SNRM to try to push the attainable closer to the maximum, but yours doesn't need to.

Now you say that your not getting the speed you had upstairs and there the SNRM was lower. These are two slightly different questions.
I imagine your DLM still achieved 80mbps sync but had to lower the SNRM more due to a slightly noisier line.
Now, as to why you are getting different measured speeds, dont know. As your hub stats are showing, you are connected at 80mbps and the measured speed will always be lower due to overheads of the equipment. Are you using the same modem/route, same speed measuring software, same computer ?

But, at the end of the day, you are getting a far better VDSL broadband speed than 80% of the country and to be honest the extra speed you think you are loosing would hardly be noticeable.

Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Finally a sensible answer, needless to say it didn’t need to get nasty, I just can’t stand people not listening to me, I know what I am talking about as I work in IT and have networking qualifications.

The only reason why I’m asking for the extra speed is because I live in the sticks, when you live in a rural area which is often forgotten about due to big cities getting all the attention, making your line noiser to gain extra speed is sometimes worth it.. nevertheless I’m trying to push for the the rural gigabit scheme for my village. 

I know there’s a lot of crosstalk on my line too. But anyway thanks for your reply. 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Hi All, please remember to keep your posts friendly.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@samtheaspiewrote:

I’m trying to push for the the rural gigabit scheme for my village. Good luck with that, post back to let us know how you get on please

0 Ratings