cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Ordered FTTP - what speeds should I be getting....

Ordered FTTP - what speeds should I be getting... 

I have ordered Full Fibre - 300mbps guaranteed 150mbps DL (Not sure about UL tbh not concerned about that)

Does any one know UL on Full Fibre - 300mbps ?

What speeds should I be getting:

1. On hardwired ethernet to a Win 10 PC

2. Wireless from BT SH2 + Whole Home Wifi (2 x Discs)

Currently I am on 79.99 DL and 20 UL - ethernet I get between 61-74 DL and always 18 UL - the BT Green box is 4 doors down too 🙂

BT SH2 Wifi I get between 18-29DL and always 18UL

Any reason why I get such low speeds on BT ST2 when I right next to like half a metre away?

I've had 3 Open Reach engineers vist me and 1 Cube engineer visit me last 9 days - all said everything is fine. Not sure why am getting such low speeds on Wifi. Bit alarmed if i get such low speeds on wifi when i go to FTTP 300mbps. Will i get good wifi speed on FTTP 300mbps? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Ordered FTTP - what speeds should I be getting....

With Full Fibre I would be surprised if you don't get the headline speeds (or very near), as Fibre is not subject to the variability that is expired by FTTC due to distance between your router and the green roadside cabinet.

I have have the Fibre 300 service (300Mbps down /50 Mbps up). I usually get about 305 down and 52 up.

Obviously as you are hard via ethernet you need to have a Gig Ethernet port on your computer to exceed 100Mbps

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

As you have already noticed , wired speed and WiFi speeds are not the same, even if you are close to the router , distance isn’t the only thing that affects WiFi, so unfortunately even if you get a big increase in wired speeds , if the same doesn’t happen with WiFi, you may need to do some investigation, no provider guarantees WiFi speed , too many variables 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

@iniltous  I totally understand.

But when I used a 3rd party Router or 3rd Part Mesh system i get close the 79.99mbps on the DL on WIfi hmm....

I currently have BT SH2

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

@converse420 

Thanks I understand this too

I believe i do have a Gig Ethernet port - i believe most pc's have them? Is there any way to find out for sure?

FTTP seems awesome tbh

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Not sure if your pc is windows or Mac, but you can see your connected speed via control panel/settings in both

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

@converse420

Am a PC user I get good speeds via ethernet... But wifi I dnt get low low speed 33DL

I've tried am thethe wifi channels no difference there's only 3 free channels 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

@converse420
I have check my desktop PC has a 1gigabit LAN Ethernet port sweeet

ANy reason on any wifi device even if its the only one right by router say less than 1m away still get 18-26mbps DL on a 79.99mpbs DL BT Fibre?

I find that strange
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Firstly, browse to 192.168.1.254 and look at the WAN link speed in the Broadband Status screen (it should be 1000 Mbps, but may sometime report 100 if there is a. cable/connectivity issue). Beyond that, Wifi speed is always a bit of a lottery due to interference etc. You could also look at the Wifi settings on your router to see if your device is connecting via 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz, the former being slower

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

@converse420

Thanks I've cheeked my devices are on 2.4ghz

So would 26mbps DL be acceptable on a 79.99mbps DL on a 2.4ghz device...

What screen do I go on to check WAN link speed in the Broadband Status? 

0 Ratings