cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Ordering BT broadband, only basic available but local cabinet has a FTTC waiting list?

Hello,

Had a very big faff recently trying to get broadband. Moved into new place, no phone line so try to have one installed for free with a competitor along with a broadband deal but couldn't as my property was a silver match address, and their systems couldn't proceed with an order to sort an engineer to install the socket.

End up having to go thru BT as they also arranged to have Openreach come to sort a socket out. However on the website my only option is the basic broadband, Fibre just shows as not available. I looked on the BT Wholesale website and found out my local cabinet supports FTTPoD and VDSL, and under the WBBC FTTC Availability Date shows Waiting List. Does this mean the Cabinet is full?

The speeds for the VDSL A download are between 80-65mbps which is much better than the option the website shows me, which is 8-16mbps max (so I assume its coming over copper cables).

Does this mean I cant have Fibre? If I put my address of a neighbour in my apartment block into the Openreach Fibre checker (my address doesnt work yet as I don't have the phone line yet) I get told "Good new, faster broadband is coming soon".

I do a lot of work from home and didn't expect to have so many issues with broadband especially in the middle of a city. 

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 12.32.02.png

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Ordering BT broadband, only basic available but local cabinet has a FTTC waiting list?

If the checker site states waiting list for FTTC, then currently no spare ports in the ‘fibre’ cabinet so you won’t be able to order FTTC until there is an available port , that could be by someone ceasing their connection , or by Openreach increasing capacity

No one has to use BT, if your chosen provider couldn’t or wouldn’t process your order, then presumably you should be happy that at least one company did , otherwise you wouldn’t have service at all.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Ordering BT broadband, only basic available but local cabinet has a FTTC waiting list?

Ah okay, I originally thought waiting list meant that there wasnt fibre at all yet as the Openreach website shows me as "Fibre coming soon". I updated the post with a photo of the Wholesale results.

Could the openreach message mean they are improving the cabinets capacity soon? As I cant even get on a waiting list with BT right now? They dont even let me select Fibre
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

You would need to ask OR if they have plans to increase capacity (there may well be an online source that shows these things ) but it could depend on how much work/expense is needed to increase capacity, if for example it’s a case of adding new cards , probably quite a quick process, but if the current set up requires a new cab extension, or new cab, then obviously that could take much longer, added into that , OR’s focus on FTTP then it’s possible they won’t be keen to add to FTTC if it’s got a limited life anyway

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

There is an online source that sometimes shows increased capacity plans. For that we would need the exchange and cab number which has been cut off in the screen shot.

The Fibre coming soon relates to FTTP, soon however can be up to 2 years down the line or more.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

The cabinet was 23 on the SOUTHAMPTON exchange if that helps?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Nothing listed for that cab but I did say only sometimes. Unfortunately in this case there are no plans disclosed.

2020-09-01 15_44_37-CodeLook.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I have sent a form to Openreach asking, and will talk with the engineer whos coming on the 22nd about it too, to see if I can get any more information regarding some improved capacity.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Don't expect the install engineer to know or to tell you the truth. Most often they tell you what you want to hear so they can get the job done and move on.

You'll only be getting a line engineer to install the line. He won't be informed of any cabinet upgrades due, it is not part of his job.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

All i was potentially gonna ask if he had to go to the cabinet was if it is full, and if it had any room for a new card in it haha, I have reached out to OR with a form saying I am in scope but cant get fibre, and explained in the form whats happening and how slow my speeds are going to be
0 Ratings