cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 24

Re: Over 15 engineers to my address - Broadband still dropping out

Yep, had the previous version of the hub, now I'm on a hub 2.

I suppose I could always ask for another, just incase I've had 2 faulty ones in a row. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 24

It does not seem likely.

The home hubs are a bit sensitive to changes in line conditions, as they cannot be locked to a specific line profile. Some people who do not need BT Digital Voice, are using third party modem/routers which seem to stop the disconnects, as they can be locked to the VDSL profile.

If you do not use BT Digital Voice, and are happy to have single band wireless, then there is a cheap alternative costing about £30 which you can get at Argos, (572/8882) to prove whether its the home hub or the line.  If it still disconnects, then you can always return it, or keep it as a spare.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 24

I actually got the below a while back to try and set up as a modem only (something the bt hub can't do apparently) and then I'd pass through to my asus router. But I had trouble setting it up.

Would this work the same?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

You need to delete that Amazon link, as its not permitted to link to e-commerce sites on this forum.

That should work  on a normal FTTC connection.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 24

First of all you need to delete the link, it breaks forum rules linking to e-commerce sites.

It's not clear from your post if you have tried to use that device or are intending to purchase one.

That device is locked down and not trivial to unlock, however no configuration is required for BT VDSL and is plug and play. If you were intending to purchase a modem, a Huawei HG 612 from eBay is a better proposition

You need to configure the generic PPPoE credentials of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT on the Asus

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

@Keith_Beddoe the OP has an FTTC connection not FTTP

Posted pre edit of your post

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 24

That's the trouble trying to follow multiple threads in 30 degree heat, even inside.

Message 18 of 24

Apologies for the link folks, I'll blame it on the heat as well lol.

I wasn't entirely clear, I actually have the HG612 and the ASUS RT-AC86U I remember having trouble setting it up before, which is why I stuck with the BT Smart Hub 2 in the end.

I'll try and set it up again as you've described above, from the sounds of things I'll just be able to leave the HG612 as default, plug the ASUS into the LAN port and enter the BT username and password on the ASUS and I should be good to go?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 24

Yep

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 24

Provided it works, then you should be able to prove the fault. That modem is likely to be more stable than the home hub.