cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Hi, im looking to set up a PPPOE connection on my playstion but every time I test connection it is unable to obtain ip address. 

My connection is vdsl fftc, using bt smart hub 2 so I'm just needing to know if I can set up this way or not? 

And If I can what am I doing wrong , if not then why?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it sounds kinda stupid haha.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: PPPOE

Go to solution

The hub negotiates the PPPoE connection so no, you can't set it up via your playstation.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

So would I need a third party router to connect to playstion via pppoe? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

No, you don't need a PPPoE connection on your playstation. Just connect it via Ethernet to your hub.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I understand I dont NEED a pppoe connection on the playstation but thats how I want to do it. So how can I implement this? 3rd party router? Enable full cone nat, there must be some way.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

I have no idea why you would want to, however, in order to do so you would need to connect the playstation directly via a modem rather than a router.

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

A standalone VDSL modem would allow you  to do it but you wouldn't be able to connect any other device, only the play station.

Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks, your help is very much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Ok, so I set up my tp link router td w9970 I believe it is.

I reconfigured the setting on it so it was on bridge mode? Is this correct? 

Although the router did say it was connected via pppoe anyway but don't know how to transfer this over to the playstation. 

Anyway, put it in bridge mode and tried to connect playstation via pppoe and it still wouldn't get an ip address. 

Please help, cant understand what I'm doing wrong. 

Thank again for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Its modem mode you want. That is possible on that device, on an FTTC connection only. You are correct that it says bridge mode. PPPoE authentication would have to be done on the Playstation, if that is possible, although I am not sure why you would want to do it that way. It would be issued with a public IP address, and would be open to the Internet.

See https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Make sure you use the correct PPPoE authentication on the Playstation, otherwise you will not get an Internet connection, only the BT Wholesale holding page.

0 Ratings