Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

PPPoE error - help!

Hi,

Last Friday afternoon our broadband connection stopped and is yet to return, as if someone somewhere pressed the off switch.

I spoke to the call centre several times over the bank holiday weekend and did all the usual routines of switching off and on again but, all to no avail. They told me an engineer would come and have a look on Tuesday.

In the meantime ive tried switching routers (I have a netgear d6400 and my neighbour let me use his spare brand new unopened BT smart hub), but neither work. Both show a connection is available but there is a PPPoE error timeout, I understand looking at this forum that this a fault at the exchange.

The engineer came yesterday (Tuesday, as planned) and checked out the equipment in the home, all was good, he went and checked the cabinet, all was good, then he said he would go and check a few other things and would be back in touch, then he disappeared and hasn’t been seen or heard of again!

So, yesterday evening we rang the call centre again, this time they insist it’s the hub at fault, (despite the above) and won’t do anything else until we’ve tried it.

Now getting frustrated and significantly lower in funds having to pay my kids data charges while they are on half term break, I decided to ring once more today, and now we have another engineer coming out, possibly tomorrow.

The thing is, if I’ve already tried two different routers (one of which is brand new), and an engineer has already stated that nothing is wrong in the house, at what point do BT stop suggesting different routers and different engineers and do something at the exchange that might help.

if anyone here has any suggestions I’d really appreciate any help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Re: PPPoE error - help!

@Lastgo I'm sorry about the problems with your broadband, if the line and broadband are testing OK then we have to send an engineer who then will visit the exchange if required. Post back to let us know how the visit goes today, and if you need any further help at that stage we'll get your details.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@NeilO We had an engineer arrive yesterday afternoon, he was excellent, and knew exactly what to do as he had come across the problem before. I think he said we were moved to a different circuit (?) and within a couple of hours we were back online. Kids were happy, all was good.

However , this afternoon it’s dropped again with the hub saying the same problem, so I’ve rung through to BT once more and I’ve been told that someone will be in touch at some point, just hoping it’s sooner rather than later.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

@Lastgo Oh no, I'm sorry the repair didn't last. If you'd like the mod team to help send over your details on the 'click here to contact the mods' link. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

@Lastgo Oh no, I'm sorry the repair didn't last. If you'd like the mod team to help send over your details on the 'click here to contact the mods' link. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

@NeilO any help is much appreciated, so I’ve done what you suggested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Happy to say this has now been fixed and we’ve been online for a couple of days now with no problems.

Some work needed to be done at the exchange to get us reconnected, (so, if you find this PPPoE error stopping you from getting online, you’ll need to try and push past the first line of BT’S call centre employees, otherwise it’’s going to be a slow process!) luckily we had an engineer who knew what to do and some help from the Mods on this forum.
0 Ratings