Hello Forum members,
I have recently changed to BT broadband (Infinity 1) from Sky, which upgraded my speed from 8Mb to 39Mb, plus an upgrade from an old'ish wireless access point (Sky's Netgear 802.11g) to BT's home hub 5.
I am connected to the Hub 5 via a Cat6 UTP cable of 15m, (as seen here : Cat6 Cable) with a Gigabit NIC and obviously the Hub 5 has also got Gigabit ports.
The problems that I am getting is slow opening websites, pauses when trying to do something on the internet, disconnects, etc, etc.
So I decided to look into this and started at pinging my NIC, which was fine, then I pinged the Hub 5, this is when I get the packet loss, which varies from 3% to 10%, this is only when my NIC is set up as auto negotiate.
So, I changed the speed and duplex settings on the NIC to 100Mbps / Full Duplex.
Pinged the hub 5 again, and 7000 packets later, none was lost... there are no connection issues on web with 100Mbps / Full Duplex settings, no pauses of great significance, unlike when its set to Auto Negotiate.
Any ideas what might be the issue?
Do you have a different cable to test with?
When you connect with the 15m cable do you notice if you're connecting to the router at 1Gbps?
Does this happen in all ports on the the router?
What NIC do you have in your PC/Laptop?
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been obtaining extra cables.
OK. I took my PC downstairs and connected it to the HUB5 using other cables, 1 Cat6 and 2 Cat5e cables.
The Cat6 cable does the same as the cable that runs upstairs, lots of packet losses, when setting the NIC to auto negotiate, and no packet losses when setting the NIC to 100Mbps / Full Duplex.
The Cat5e cables were both the same as the Cat6 cables, but much less packet losses, but still quite a bit to cause me issues.
When connecting the cables to the Hub5, the Hub5's Hub Manager would detect the cable correctly when the NIC was set to 10Mbps / Full Duplex or 100Mbps / Full Duplex , however, when setting the NIC to auto negotiate, the Hub Manager sometimes detected that it was connected at 100Mbps and then other times at 1Gbps.
This happens on all ports on the Hub5.
The NIC that I have got in my PC is an onboard NVIDIA nForce® 750i SLI built-in Gigabit MAC with external PHY, (Asus P5N-D motherboard).
I have downloaded, installed and tested the drivers from the manufacturer, latest drivers from nvidia, and finally the recommended drivers from nvidia using their "scan system" option, all with the same results.
Hub details : BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.6 | Last updated 05/01/14
Hope this helps.
Nvidia network controllers are notorious for connection issues. I would just disable it and put in a cheap PCI express LAN adapter preferably an Intel one. Can get them on ebay for about £5.