cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 14

Packet Loss

From what I've read online this packet loss issue is coming straight from the ISP? Most likely the cabinet?

I have optimised my setup, going from modem to an edge router to a netgear r7800 as a wireless access point.

I've been testing different routers, with qos, other router settings, tested wifi, powerline ethernet and straight ethernet to my pc, and this result is consistent every single day.

I don't like packet loss, I don't like anything that can potentially interfere with my games.

Can anyone confirm what the source of this is? Thanks.

zshoot2kilz_0-1595785233165.png

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14

Packet Loss

From what I've read online this packet loss issue is coming straight from the ISP? Most likely the cabinet?

I have optimised my setup, going from modem to an edge router to a netgear r7800 as a wireless access point.

I've been testing different routers, with qos, other router settings, tested wifi, powerline ethernet and straight ethernet to my pc, and this result is consistent every single day.

I don't like packet loss, I don't like anything that can potentially interfere with my games.

Can anyone confirm what the source of this is? Thanks.

packet loss.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Re: Packet Loss

You don't have any packet loss.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

What do you mean? Can' you see it?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I cannot see what is not there. You need to learn how to read ping plots if you are going to use them and have a little knowlege of networking.

That ping plot does not show any packet loss.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

There's literally 90% packet loss coming from the third hop.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

And the packet fairy magically reproduces them at the destination?

You don't have packet loss, you have a node that has better things to do than respond to pings.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

2020-07-26 20_30_34-Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss _ PingPlotter.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Interesting, so if ping requests mean nothing then what proper way is there to test and combat packet loss?
I have the edge router x setup with qos but whenever gaming, for example in counter strike I get packet loss.

I'm just confused because based on forums and YouTube videos, people are suggesting that if you get packet loss from the third hop it's due to your isp and is a serious problem. I was told to contact my isp regarding that specific ip address.

I don't know, just want to learn more about this and alleviate myself of all possible internet and routing issues. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

You don't have packet loss.

You only have packet loss if there is packet loss shown at the final destination, you can then work back and see where it being lost.

0 Ratings