cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 27

Re: Packet loss / routing issue.

If the Belkin is not configured correctly the double natting could be the problem. If the OP wants to use their own router then the HH should be replaced with a VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
NotIdeal
Beginner
Message 12 of 27

The reason I'm using a router, is that the Homehub is pretty lacklustre in the options it provides the end user.  By that I mean the little touches such as;

- Having an easy to navigate GUI (HH5 doesn't)

- Options such as not broadcasting the SSID of wireless (HH5 doesn't) 

- Media streaming (HH5 doesn't)

- An option in there to block ICMP (HH5 doesn't)

- It doesn't even have the simple option to use it as a modem while turning everything else off (including the lights!).

It's easy enough to populate 13+ wireless connections without the insecure method of WPS, however after looking at the options provided, I decided the safer course of action was to only use the HH5 as pretty much a modem (even without the option to be just a a modem!).

I'll be honest, I'm not impressed with the HH5.

0 Ratings
NotIdeal
Beginner
Message 13 of 27

Double nat isn't the issue, that was one of the first things configured.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 27

Going by the amount of problems on this forum, the HH5 is not a very good item and in a lot instances the modem seems to be the cause because a lot of the problems with the HH5 can be "fixed" by using an Openreach modem and just using the HH5 as a router.

I would suggest that you should consider doing like wise with which ever router you choose to use.

0 Ratings
NotIdeal
Beginner
Message 15 of 27

@john46 wrote:
@NotIdeal

hops 3&4 are set not to respond to pings also why are you using a belkin router and a home hub a very unusual connection method

I've since resolved an issue on my end of dropping 7-8% of packets (wiring issue, new home...).

However that doesn't explain why hop 4 responds to ~25% of pings, especially if it's not meant to.  Something that may be worth looking into, as it may be an issue with hardware and / or configuration.  That's not something I can check and resolve though.

I mean ideally I want to avoid having to set up a VPN, it shouldn't be down to an end user to resolve routing issues.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 27

You don't have a routing issue though. As you have resolved your packet loss issue yourself then it coudn't have been a routing issue in the beginning.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ChrisFWood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

If you had a routing issue a VPN would not solve it, I did have a routing / connection issue it solved itself / was fixed, I have effectively the same thing as a vpn (a 6in4 tunnel) running perminatly and that also died.  I could talk to the gateway but beyond that the traces got odd.

If like me you don't like the HH5 the best two options are 1) get a modem and a router (you have the router), 2) is get a router with a vdsl modem.

0 Ratings
RightTiger
Message 18 of 27

I'm having the exact same problem on them hops as well 70% packet loss upwards. Somethings needs to be done about it as it's unacceptable for the service I'm paying for. 

0 Ratings
NotIdeal
Beginner
Message 19 of 27

@ChrisFWood wrote:

If you had a routing issue a VPN would not solve it, I did have a routing / connection issue it solved itself / was fixed, I have effectively the same thing as a vpn (a 6in4 tunnel) running perminatly and that also died.  I could talk to the gateway but beyond that the traces got odd.

If like me you don't like the HH5 the best two options are 1) get a modem and a router (you have the router), 2) is get a router with a vdsl modem.

Any suggestions on a decent modem? I'm used to cable, so getting something for BT Infinity isn't something I'm uptogether with.  Also, would it connect automatically, or would I need a username / password to set one up?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 27

You can get an Openreach modem on ebay for about £20/30. Just plug and play.

0 Ratings