Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Painfully slow infinity 1 and multiple disconnects

Go to solution
Hi

I recently upgraded from BTs basic broadband with speeds of 5-6mbps and fairly regular occurrences of my devices being disconnected from the HH. I was finding using the Internet for work or recreation to be pretty stressful and slow.

For the first few weeks infinity 1 was bliss. Speeds of 30mbps, no disconnects. Happy days.

A couple of months on and the honey moon is over. I'm experiencing these problems:

1. Hugely variable speeds. At times it slows down to less than 1mbps.

2. I have to restart the HH repeatedly to try and get the speed back up. This works in the short term until I have to repeat.

3. My devices all constantly get disconnected. Two iPhones, one iPad, one work laptop. They reconnect quite quickly but the constant interruption is unbearable. When I looked at the log In router stats there is page after page of device disconnects, several times a minute at its worse.

So, I'm hoping you clever, helpful people can save my sanity.

I've tried to follow the steps in the posting rules:
1. The bt speedTest won't work for iPhone/iPad as it requires flash. My work laptop is blocked from this site.
2. The quiet line test was, well, quiet.
3. I'm in the "logs" page of the router homepage but I do not see the DSL info. Just page after page of device disconnects.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Painfully slow infinity 1 and multiple disconnects

Go to solution

Sorry but is the Internet connection stable but you are having problems with the wireless connection to your devices not the Internet?

Constanly resetting the the router will make the connection worse not better. Your noise margin will increase, connection speed reduce and profile will reduce giving lower download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
I don't know. I can try connecting by cable to see if it helps.

I've heard that resetting makes it worse, but I've no choice. I need to work from home often, and it's just not possible with less than 1mbps. I have to reboot simply to get some work done.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Can you go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Just thinking, if it's wifi issues not line stability etc would that be the HH?

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076286+1511013367
3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 1 days, 06:58:11
6. Data Rate: 8613 / 37330
7. Maximum Data Rate: 8613 / 44552
8. Noise Margin: 5.9 / 6.4
9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 26.8
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 161.7 MB / 911.4 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

your stats look ok with 37mb connection speed, noise margin about normal 6db and connection time 1+ days suggesting the problem is wireless conenction to your devices

have you turned off smart setup http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

have you split the 2 networks http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

have you increased the wireless lease time in the hub from 1 day to 21 days?

Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks Imjolly

I've turned off smart set up, split the networks and changed the lease time to 21 days.

I will let you know if this helps. Reading up on the splitting networks stuff made me think it's that...apparently 5ghz has a shorter range and often my devices disconnect when on a different floor to the HH
0 Ratings
Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
Update - 12 hours after doing this the connection is much more reliable. Constant speeds of 30mbps, and the device log
Doesn't show a single device disconnect since 8pm last night.

Seems to be fixed, I'll give it over the weekend then mark it as solved 🙂

I owe Imjolly a drink 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

thanks for update

hopefully it will be ok over the weekend

Idaven9869
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Problem solved, I think it's the dual band issue. I would recommend that first for others with similar frustrations. Switching to 2.4ghz only means only a very slightly slower download speed but reliability is a thousand times better.

What do you drink Imjolly? 🙂
0 Ratings