Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EyesShiningAngrily
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Parents broadband problem

Hello,

This message is on behalf of my parents.  They had a power cut on Monday, and it seems that since then my mother is unable to get onto the net.  First of all my parents are in their mid 80's, my dad has never touched the computer, and my mam has vascular dementia.  I'm only going by what my mam says over the phone and she's fairly hopeless with computers.

Anyway, apparently when she tries to go on the net, say like her bank account, she says she's getting a BT screen coming up asking her for her BT ID and password.  There's also stuff about wifi hotspots and charging per hour and other baffling stuff (she pays BT a sum per month and there shouldn't be additional charges).  I do think she's using wifi to connect her PC though.

Does anyone have any clue as to why a BT screen is coming up when she tries to connect to the net?  I mean she's not trying to get into the BT site, she wants to get into her bank account.  So this seems strange.  She has no idea what her BT ID or password is.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Parents broadband problem

sounds like the wifi on the pc is trying to connect to BTWIFI and not her home hub wifi  need to go to wifi symbol in bottom right of pc then select then select her home hub name (SSID) and then connect to that and hopefully pc will remember the password and connect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
EyesShiningAngrily
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Right, OK, that would be something I would have tried if I was around there.  Now I need to see if I can get my mam to follow my instructions...  lol

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Good luck

0 Ratings