cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Passing the buck

We have FTTC broadband which is usually good but suffers intermiitent periods when HH5 light is blue but there is no throughput on an internet connected computer.  I have posted about this before.

We have now gone through all of the steps and checks requested by BT but there appears to be a problem in the way BT is structured which prevents an effective response.   Our home wiring has been checked (yet again) and given a clean bill of health.  We have been told not to swap the HH5 for the one they sent because they want to see the fault as it is.

We were given a "case handler" who assured us she would remainwith the case - only for a week later a different case officer to introduce himself.  So no continuity and everything has to be expalined again.

BT Openreach say it is a problem for BT Wholesale because Wholesale control the settings.

BT Wholesale say it is a problem for BT Openreach even though Openreach have repeatedly checked cabinet, exchange, line and house.

BT Wholesale even arranged a second Openreach engineer visit ten days after the previous one.   BT did not make an apointment or tell me this engineer was beign sent again.  He arrived as puzzled as I was to see him.

BT Retail is, they say, unable to guarantee that any engineer arriving will have details of the job he is sent there for.  They told me they send engineer visit requests to an offshore site which then communicates with Openreach.  Of course on every engineer visit we have had the engineer has never received job notes from this convoluted system.  I know Openreach can't give preference to BT but any sensible process ensures the engineer arrives knowing why he is there.

I know that Openreach is separated from the rest of BT but surely there is a way of:

(a) ensuring engineers know why they are sent to the exchange, cabinet or house;

(b) ensuring one part of BT does not pass the buck to the other against the interests of the customer;

(c) ensuring that time wasting duplicate and unannounced engineer visits are not arranged.

The result is that we are no futher forward months after first reporting this.

The one bright spot - the Openreach engineer is a conscientious guy who has taken the time to explain what he thinks is happening.  Even when sent by BT Wholesale on the pointless duplicate visit he remained cheerful and helpful.

So is it too much to ask a communications company to communicate within its own organisation in the interests of the customer and not wasting BT resources?

I await the next message from our case handler!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Passing the buck

previously did the reset or factory reset help with your problem?

if you have another new hub then have you tried using that and see if problem persists

can you post stats from your hh5 - troubleshooting then helpdesk

is there any noise on phone line - try 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Hi and thanks for replying.

A factory reset made no difference and there is no noise on the line.  Openreach have checked this too and said there is no problem in my house, the cabinet or exchange.

The BT case handler did not know that BT Wholesale was blaming Oprenreach equipment and sending an unannounced repeat engineer visit just a few days after the previous Opendreach visit gave everything locally a clean bill of health.

Openreach blame BT Wholesale - and it is possible that our settings are indeed wrong as we keep being told we're on an 80/20 circuit or Infinity 2 when in fact we're on what is now "Superfast 1".

So whatever the cause is the BT system appears broken and works against the customer.  BT Retail, Wholesale and Openreach can blame each other and don't work together.  And this from a communications company.

A case handler does not know what Wholesale is doing and can't get job notes to Openreach because it sends them via an offshore centre (if what I have been told is correct).  Surely getting job nnotes / history to an engineer visiting is the most basic requirement?

Openreach can blame Wholesale settings and Wholesale can blame Openreach  equipment.

Result = no progress, just internal BT bickering.

No criticism of the BT individuals - they are working with a broken system.  

Haven't heard form the case handler for a few weeks now anyway!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Can you post your hubs connertion stats as requested by @imjolly

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

Although not an excuse ( not my place to make excuses for them anyway) but the system of Chinese walls exists because of Ofcom and its equivalence rules, deemed to be an advantage if BT Consumer could just pick up the phone and speak other BT Group businesses, BT Wholesale ( I think they are called TSO now) or Openreach directly, AFAIK, they have to 'communicate' in exactly the same way as everyone else, (Sky, TT , Vodafone etc) via Customer Management Centres and Service Management Centres , hence the 'engineers' quite often turning up with little or no idea of what has happened previously
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Hi and thank to everyone who's responded.

The zero throughput events (on an ethernet connected computer) are continuing intermittently, sometimes once a day and at other times 2-3 times a day.  Some days it's stable.
HH5.jpg

If I read the stats correctly it says there's a connection time of 2 days.  That's probably because a BT tech support agent told us to reboot the HH5 to get the service back.  We queried if this woudld interfere with any "investigation" but were told to go ahead.

After 2 weeks of hearing nothing from the case handler he rang yesterday to ask if we are using a Smarthub.  This is really disappointing because all of our communication to date has specified a HH5.   

Also I got told by another support agent (I called while the zero throughput was happening in case it helped BT see it) that I had used huge amounts of data on Tuesday.  Well, sorry, but Apple updated their OS at the start of the week and I downloaded it.   I would have thought that BT Broadband could cope with this as its only a yearly or even every two year event.  Hardly unreasonable use which would result in periods of zero throughput on an "unlimited" contract. 

What's really frustrating is that BT can and does supply an excellent service most of the time.  We get a good 39 Mbps upload / 7 download which proves that it can be delivered.  Yet the reliability is the issue.  Yesterday twice I was browsing simple webpages only to be told "no internet connection".  This happens both on the ethernet connected computer and on two tablets using wifi.  We have the BT Whole Home wifi disks and these turn red often when the zero throughput / blue light on router event happens.  (I can't say that happens 100% of the time because I've only just spotted that it happens).

This problem has been with BT for months now and passed from one case handler to another, the busk passed between BT Openreach and BT Wholesale.  So it was really disapointing to hear yesterday that the "investigation" didn't even know which router we are using.

Thanks again to those who reply on here.   I'm hoping those who know about these things might be able to advise me.  If we have to live with a good broadband connection most of the time and periods of zero thorughput most days for 25-30 minutes then we will.  I don't expect a perfect service - no-one can guarantee that - but it has been less reliable in recent months.

Tnaks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

My suggestion, and probably that a few other people, would be to try a cheap third party router (£35) and see if that cures the loss of connectivity. If you need to know which one, then just ask.

As you are using the Whole Home wifi, you can even turn off the wireless on that cheap router, so it does not interfere with the Whole Home system like the home hub may be doing.

My daughter had a similar issue, and that was with the HH6. Its been fine since I replaced the router with a different one.

0 Ratings
Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for the suggestion about the router.  This suggests that BT supplies Home Hubs that aren't up to the job.  Is that really the case?    Could anyone recommend a good router with the ability to hold the broadband and reasonable wifi?

My "passing the buck" comment gets more and more true.  After almost 7 weeks of no progress I phoned BT to see if there was an update.  I then got told that the case was on its fourth case handler!  If this is BT Retail's way of working it seems guaranteed to just add to the problems I reported between Openreach and Wholesale!  Zero continuity within BT apparently.

The other suspicion is that BT just can't be bothered.  I was asked to post my router stats some time ago on here and did so - but no-one from BT (a moderator for example) has ever commented or said if they show a problem.  Does BT just stonewall until they can send an 8 week deadlock lettter and wash their hands of technical faults?  Or am I being too cyncical?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Rotarua674 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion about the router.  This suggests that BT supplies Home Hubs that aren't up to the job.  Is that really the case?    Could anyone recommend a good router with the ability to hold the broadband and reasonable wifi?

I would just try a different router to see if you still get the problem. The TP Link W9970 is less than £40, and will prove the issue.

Rotarua674
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks for the recommendation.

0 Ratings