cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plusman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Paying Infinity 2 price but getting less than Infinity 1 speed - Unhappy customer

Go to solution

I've been with BT Infinity for a few years now. When I started I was getting download speeds of around 50Mbs (max of ca. 52Mbps) but nowdays they are more around 43Mbps.

I've just been comparing the price for Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 - Infinity 1 (up to 56Mbps) costing £26/mth and Infinity 2 (up to 78Mbps) costing £6.50 more at £34.50. What galls me is that I have been paying extra for a service that I have never receievd and have apparently no hope of ever receiving. Yet BT Won't do anything about it. When I phoned up and asked about changing down to Infinity 1, I was told that my speed would likely decrease further below 43Mbps (even though it is still advertised at "up to 56 Mbps").

Surely this is misleading advertising when BT are offering and charging for a service that they cannot deliver i.e. I should only be paying for Infinity 1 as I am getting less than 56Mbps,  yet if I try and change to the Infinity 1 service they say that my speed may decrease even more!. So if I try and pay for a service level that I am actually receiving, I'm likely to get an evern worse service!

Can anybody please advise?

M

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Paying Infinity 2 price but getting less than Infinity 1 speed - Unhappy customer

Go to solution
Your speed won't reduce if you changed to Infinity 1. It doesn't work like that.

At the time when you took out Infinity 2, the speed for Infinity 1 was capped at 38mbps (throughput). You made the choice to pay the extra for the additonal speed provided by Infinity 2 however you would have, at the time been advised of the speed and the acceptable ranges for the speed expected on your line.

No company is going to back date payments or recompense you for a product you selected when all of the information was provided to you.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
plusman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Paying Infinity 2 price but getting less than Infinity 1 speed - Unhappy customer

Go to solution

Thanks for your response.

But why didn't BT change me to Infinity 1 when they increased the cap to above the speed I could receive? That way, I would have been paying for the service I could receive, rather than overpaying for a service that I could not receive.

Also, I don't understand why they would state that my line speed could decrease if I moved to Infinity 1. Or was it just to encourage me not to change from the higher, over-priced, product?

Not exactly a good example of customer service, or a way of getting customers to stay!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Packages don't get changed automatically, it's up to you as the customer to check you're on the best package for you. It would be a monumental task to check every single customers speeds and change their product based purely on that. There are other benefits such as more online cloud storage with Infinity 2 for example.

It was probably just a misunderstanding by the advisor. Your speed won't lower if you're already below the 55mbps sync speed cap.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

It is up to the customer to decide what package they want. The packages are not all about what speeds they offer. Infinity 2 offers other things such as more free cloud storage and free antivirus etc which some people want. If you were one of those people and BT decided to "downgrade" you to Infinity 1 I'm sure you would not have been happy with that.

If you want to downgrade, and I would suggest you should, assuming you don't want the extras that Infinity 2 offers over and above the higher line cap, you should ask BT downgrade you. I will however probably mean you starting a new contract and possibly paying cancellation fees on your existing contract.

0 Ratings
plusman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Webby,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll look at changing to Infinity 1 or moving to another provider, as I'm out of contract. I don't use the cloud storage so it is of little benefit to me.

Cheers

0 Ratings