cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dirty3000
Message 1 of 12

Paying for Infinity 2, getting Infinity 1

Is anyone else suffering the same problem of paying for the Infinity 2 service, up to 76Mbps downloads, and getting nothing better than what you would reasonably expect from BT Infinity?

I have been paying for Infinity 2 now for 18 months or so and had episode after episode of BT trying to improve speeds after there was no improvement following the upgrade.

When I signed up their website speed estimate was 53Mbps to the home. Not the 76 they adertised but an improvement at least. I now see that even they have changed the estimate to 32 Mbps - which is roughly what I am getting (when it's not cutting out that is in spite of their other claims)

Multiple engineer visits, to establish that it's actually not possible to get it running any faster. And now that I ask for a retrospective refund they cliam that they don't compensate for slow speeds, only "delays in provisioning". I have suggested that I am still waiting for them to "provision" my Infinity speeds in that case, and they effectively accused me of being stupid.

So, con-artists maybe, or just over-optimistic in what they thought they could deliver originally, but they sure as hell aren't willing to forego the extra revenue they have been stealing from me whilst serially failiing to deliver the improved service I have been paying for.

Anyone got a similar story where the promised speed improvements have simply never materialised and yet they have refused to compensate?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Paying for Infinity 2, getting Infinity 1

It shouldn't cut out, sounds like a line fault.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Dirty3000
Message 3 of 12

It's not a line fault. I have had a train full of engineers testing the line, visiting the property and rewiring the cabinet and spent no small amount of time assisting them to do those diagnostics myself.

I think it's mis-selling - though they think that because they had no idea what speeds I could actually expect at the time of sale before being connected and trying it) it therefore doesn't count as mis-selling. (seriously, this is their defence).

So i took the increased contract speeds and cost in good faith, they connected me in good faith, and now that they realise they can't deliver those speeds they refuse any sort of compensation.

They will offer me a downgrade to Option 1, but not at the new customer price (i have to pay £3 more per month), because I'm not a new customer. *Except* that will start a new contract for 12 months.

It's all a bit too one-sided when you dig beneath the service and try and be reasonable with them. So I am probably going to have to get a "new customer" offer from a different provider, paying for the sorts of speeds that can be acheived now the we know BT Infinity 2 is a lie.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Infinity 2 is not a lie as many will tell you it is your line that will not support the estimated speed this could be down to its length and overall quality between your home and the local cabinet
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

@Dirty3000 wrote:

Is anyone else suffering the same problem of paying for the Infinity 2 service, up to 76Mbps downloads, and getting nothing better than what you would reasonably expect from BT Infinity?

I have been paying for Infinity 2 now for 18 months or so and had episode after episode of BT trying to improve speeds after there was no improvement following the upgrade.

When I signed up their website speed estimate was 53Mbps to the home. Not the 76 they adertised but an improvement at least. I now see that even they have changed the estimate to 32 Mbps - which is roughly what I am getting (when it's not cutting out that is in spite of their other claims)

Multiple engineer visits, to establish that it's actually not possible to get it running any faster. And now that I ask for a retrospective refund they cliam that they don't compensate for slow speeds, only "delays in provisioning". I have suggested that I am still waiting for them to "provision" my Infinity speeds in that case, and they effectively accused me of being stupid.

So, con-artists maybe, or just over-optimistic in what they thought they could deliver originally, but they sure as hell aren't willing to forego the extra revenue they have been stealing from me whilst serially failiing to deliver the improved service I have been paying for.

Anyone got a similar story where the promised speed improvements have simply never materialised and yet they have refused to compensate?

Hi Dirty3000

I have noticed a similar thing. I was estimated at 41mbit down for Infinity2. I actually got 34mbit down after some tweaking on my line.

Some weeks back, my actual rate dropped to 26mbit down. I had to keep resetting the modem to get it back up to 34mibt.

I've been keeping my eye on FTTPoD on my exchange and happened to notice that my FTTC estimate on the BT website has dropped to 26mbit down. Very strange...

I have to say that for the last week or two my rate has now stabilised back at 34mbit down.

Maybe the estimating systems are getting lin line with data being returned from monitoriing equipement as Infinity starts to show it's true colours out there in the real world.

For what it's worth, my line contains a lot of aluminium which os no friend of VDSL. BT must be aware of the degradation that aluminium has but unfortunately a lot of people have it in their services. I did try to engage BT to replace cabling with pure copper but in these days of austerity, that ain't going to happen.

For those lucky enough to be on pure copper they are doing just fine.

Hope that helps

ptan

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 12

Especially at the price of copper ATM.

0 Ratings
Dirty3000
Message 7 of 12

Well at least I am not alone!

I wouldn't mind if I had got something closely approximating the 53Mbps estimate I was told to expect. But to get <35 was daft, and to now be tld that downgrading the service will cost me more than anyone else just sucks in terms of customer service.

Shouldn't they be required by law to charge for what they are actually delivering, and if their own speed estimates are recognising these lower speeds then surely they should be required to charge at the lower option package rather than knowingly deliver a substandard service but continuing to charge the higher fee.

I'm not suggesting a precisely calculated % charge based on fluctuating speeds, but if their own estimate falls into Infinity 1 options then they shouldn't be charging any customer for Infinity 2, should they?

I find it astonishing that their estimate has dropped sbstantially and that they haven't been required to notify me of that too and probably present some alternatives.....and I realise it's all in the small print, but this feels like no way to treat a customer base. I feel like they have stolen £11 per month for every month that they haven't provided me with a speed exceeding Inifinity 1 speeds. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

unfortunately all providers services are sold as UP TO services as it is impossible to give an accurate figure until the service goes live it costs as much to provide 15mb as it does 76mb
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 9 of 12

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 10 of 12

They can take you out of contract and change your package i was getting 32Mb out of 45.9. The way my line was before it could never get to those speeds as the line could not support it, i refused to pay and didn't pay for 3months i only paid for phone service, so they cancelled my 18month contract, re-contracted me on the same package infinity 2 package on a 12 month contract @£17.50 so if someone it can be done. OP the Sales Of Goods Act 1979 is a good act to know. Good Luck
0 Ratings