Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nephirion
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Paying for up to 76Mbps only getting 36Mbps

Go to solution

Hi

I switched to BT about 6 months ago since then I have had nothing but problems with connection speeds and wifi dropping in general. I am on Infinity 2 76Mbps package and yet barely struggle to reach 36Mbps, clearly i feel mis-sold as my line cannot reach anything near the magical 76Mbps. 

I am using the Home Hub 5

Tried using cat 5e and cat 6 cables against all 4 ports on the back of the router, the router doesn't assign IP automatically to any device no matter how many restarts and resets are performed.

Contacted customer support and they assure me that the router is working fine?

I was told via online chat that the profile had been raised to help with connection drop outs but they are still occuring.

I have tried seperating the Channels for 2.4 and 5Ghz and yet both my ipad and iphone drop signal on it.

I have disabled smart wireless, manually assigned channels via the Insider profile.

Purchased a 1300Mbps dual band wireless ac adapter and and it auto negotiates the tx as 90Mbps. Although it is set to 1300 in the router settings (I understand that it fluxtuates depending on the traffic)

Using D-Link powerline adapters and any device can see the router so there appears to be no problem there. (I have also reset and repaired numerous times)

Manually assinging IP works, however the device(s) will not have access to a internet connection.

I know I could purchase my own router however I have read numerous reviews praising the Home Hub 5 so I am wondering if it is faulty and how do I go about a remplacement. I feel for the amount of money I am throwing at BT per quarter the service feels very much like a rip off.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Paying for up to 76Mbps only getting 36Mbps

Go to solution

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12  If another router then post the stats from it

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Were you advised by a BT customer service rep to purchase Infinity 2 or did you decide to purchase it your self and if so what did you base your decision on?

What was the estimated speed BT gave you when you purchased Infinity 2. If it was below 38Mbps there would be no way you would get "up to 78Mbps" as your line would obviously not be able to support that.

Once you have supplied the information imjolly has asked for there may be more that can be done to advise you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

In addition to suggestions above.

It is most unusual the wired connections don't give IP addresses.  It may be worth factory resetting the HomeHub; the configuration (in particular for DHCP) could have got corrupted.

To return the BT Home Hub to its factory setting, press and hold the wireless association button on the Hub's back panel for at least 15 seconds – then release it. The reset process may take several minutes. The Hub is reset and ready for normal use when the broadband and internet lights are steady green.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
you need to use the pinhole reset to factory reset the hub not the WPS button and after the reset all lights go blue not green
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for correcting my comment ~ I just copied it off Google without checking properly ........ I should know better.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
no problem
0 Ratings
Nephirion
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Update; have solved the connection problem by removing the openreach white box, apparently not required for FTTC connections. This was causing problems with Home Hub it would appear. I went for the 76Mbps package as I was quoted around 50Mbps which would of left me capped at 40Mbps.

0 Ratings
Nephirion
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1507004273
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 13/12/2015
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 15:57:41
6. Data Rate: 18081 / 36477
7. Maximum Data Rate: 17277 / 42889
8. Noise Margin: 5.4 / 6.3
9. Line Attenuation: 21.7 / 18.6
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 2.2 GB / 14.0 GB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-QZQC
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-QZQC
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)
21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: 4c:09:d4:d0:12:0f
24. Software variant: -
25. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Tue Jun 17 18:52:56 2014)

Download Speed (Mbps): 33.69

Upload Speed (Mbps): 15.38

Ping Latency(ms): 33.75

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number *********** on Exchange EXMOUTH is served by Cabinet 17

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    
FTTC Range A (Clean)65.845.318.711.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)5532.417.98.5--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5.5--3 to 8Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5.5Up to 13 to 8Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

WBC SOGEA is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line has jumpers in place.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

Quiet test is ok

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

The modem is not required when using a hh5 but many found it helped their connection stability - up to you whatever works best for you

did you use the dslchecker before you ordered infinity to get some idea of likely connection speed?  What minimum speed did the letter from BT quote

from the information you posted I would move down to infinity 1 and save some money and get same down speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings