Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jonny_125
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Performance with old internal wiring / extension bell

Hello,

I've noticed since we moved in, our initial Infinity 40+ mbps has gradually reduced to around 24 mbps. Openreach checker claims 48-69 or 34-55 (impacted). Router now says max speed 27. We did go through a patch of broadband occasioanlly falling over / orange light - so I'm assuming DLM has done its job in slowing things down to a reliable level?

Before I start complaining to BT (after promising min 40 mbps) - I wonder if the antiquated internal wiring is to blame?

We have no master socket it seems. The lines comes into a GPO junction box with what I believe are "lightning arrestors" in it, then into a junction box. It then passes into a junction box and is split 3 ways - to two sockets upstairs and downstairs and a lovely mechanical bell sounder. 

Three questions to which I would be grateful if anyone could supply answers:

- could the bell cause a broadband problem? Obviously, it has no ADSL filter in front of it. If we have no master socket, where is the bell capacitor for this?

- is the "star" configuration of sockets a problem? Would it be better to have a master socket installed?

- as we don't have a master socket, is it BT's problem to sort it out if in internal wiring?

A month or so ago the bell used to "tinkle" exactly ever half hour....

Many thanks,

Jon

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Performance with old internal wiring / extension bell

Both the Star wiring and bell wire are certainly the cause of your speeds dropping. Whereas ADSL was tolerant of Star wiring VDSL is most certainly not, the bell wire will be inducing noise into the line.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

to improve you broadband connection I would get a local telecom engineer to sort out your wiring and then you will get within the speed range expected from the dslchecker  openreach will be expensive to get wiring fixed

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jonny_125
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks - do you think it would be possible to keep the old bell repeater by getting a filter fitted before it and generating the bell wire signal (just for the bell) after the filter? (& disconnecting the bell wire to the two sockets). I don't know where the bell capacitor is at the moment, will it be in one of the sockets, or in the bell housing itself?

Appreciated

0 Ratings
jonny_125
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Can a non-BT engineer do this? Isn't all my wiring technically owned by BT/Openreach given I don't have a master socket? Isn't it therefore their job to sort it out? Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

if it is openreach then they may instal new filtered master but any internal wiring after master is your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Openreach would do the work if asked, but it would be chargeable as a Home Improvement visit.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-charges

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

As the extentions running from the junction box may be DIY jobs you could be charged. Give them a ring and see what they say.

If you do not agree with the charge (if any) get someone local to do it for you.

jonny_125
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Ok thanks. It would really rather annoy me if I'd been sold 40 mps+ broadband (given there was a cheaper tier available), but couldn't get it due to wiring owned by Openreach (regardless of whether it's techincally within the walls of my house), and was still charged to sort it out. I will discuss with BT about changing contract to a cheaper speed, given they can't supply what they have advertised...

I guess I don't understand where the line (as it were) is drawn between their responsibility to supply the service I'm paying for, and wiring which is my problem if "faulty", given there is no physical master socket

Anyway, appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Are you getting the minimum download speed promised in your contract?

If your broadband service has been activated or regraded, and if your line speed is lower that promised after 10 days, then you are entitled to a free visit from an Openreach broadband technician to fix the issue, but you must report it right away.
Repeated disconnections would also cause the line speed to drop, so the cause needs to be investigated.

You must report the slow speed within 90 days of your service being activated.

See Early Life Failures - moderator post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings