0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 32 of 53

Re: Persistent disconnects

Go to solution

@RobbieMacwrote:

Hi @pompey1898

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me today.

I have had a look at your connection and your connection is dropping once a day, if even that.  There are periods where the connection would not drop out for 3-4 days.  This isn't a fault condition as your sync has remained consistent.

As agreed, if you do have problems with frequent disconnections and your speed is starting to suffer feel free to post back and we'll look at it again.

Cheers,

Robbie

Hi @RobbieMac cc @Keith_Beddoe, @imjolly, @gg30340

You invited me to post back if there were further diconnects, so here goes.

Although I was not using my PC yesterday evening I noticed the router was flashing several times so I decided to check the WAN logs this morning.  As you can see there were a total of 19 disconnects yesterday :-

DISCONNECTS 181229.JPG

I also noticed that my data rate is higher than my maximum data rate which seems odd to me, viz :-

information 181229.JPG

I have also included the result of a BTW speed test :-

speed test 181229.JPG

Given that the CL's mentioned abobe have said these disconnects are not normal I would ask you to look again at what is causing them please.

Happy New Year

PS - It is still taking ~10 secs for pages to load as per my other post

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 53

Go to solution

the strange thing is that with all the drops in connection it has had little effect on your actual connection speed whereas normally you would expect a banded profile by now

I think the conenction speed higher than attainable is due to your 3.6db noise margin being lower than the normal 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 34 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @NeilO cc @imjolly

Engineer turned up at 08:00 as you arranged.  Surprisingly he thought he was attanding to fix a speed issue, not the disconnects.  All his tests failed to find any fault although he did replace the crimps at the DP.

For your information here are the stats following his visit :-

DISCONNECTS 190102.JPG

DISCONNECTS 190102 B.JPG

I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow or Friday and discussing where we go from here.

Happy New Year

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 53

Go to solution

hub stats look ok and similar to previous stats  connection time obviously low due to engineer visit and question is how long can it remain stable?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 36 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @NeilO

Definitely NOT fixed as router disconnected 15 minutes ago, viz :-

BT Infinity 3 and 4:

BT Infinity

Firmware version:

v0.09.06.05093-BT

Firmware updated:

14-Aug-2018

Serial number:

+088044+1717003697

Downstream sync speed:

48.854Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

7.533Mbps

Network uptime:

0 days,00 Hours17 Mins

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 37 of 53

Go to solution

I'm going to call a spade a spade ....

Your connection has always (historically) been troublesome ... if memory serves me.

I recall distantly several big issues, with drops, high margins, broken cables ... am I right?

Let's look at what your average BTo engineer is requested to do.  At best he attends and tests the loop, for a set of problems that often manifest themselves on copper lines (FTTC). He runs the tests ... and gets greens all the way through. No resistances relative to loop loss, data transition ok, line balance and voltages stable.

The two things that a jdsu is poor at is one .... intermittent high resistance faults, and two ... it only tests the loop.

Let's assume the loop is ok, jdsu didn't lie.  You even had your crimps changed (that's like deja vous) 🙂

The connection isn't losing its PPP handshake, it stays synced, but data traversal is being broken.

So lets assume from your socket all the way to the DP is good to go.

Now I don't know whether your dslam is g.inp capable or not,  but if it was, it would have dropped that particular algorithm, long ago.

But ... have you ever thought that because of all your historical problems, even before with ADSL, that the line condition and subsequent profile are not being "stage managed" into a useable situation?

It is doable (by BTw) ... and I wonder whether it's achieved condition, set by some fourth level technician at BTw and it has wavered.

The only other thing that would cause a data problem is the port itself within the dslam, it doesn't need to be a complete card at fault, merely your port.

The trouble is ... you'd need really special help, at least a broadband engineer with intervention authority to even troubleshoot it.

If it's not the line, it's the datalink ... or it's been historical manipulated to overcome whatever problems the line has, and it's gone bad.

Afterall ... it was never totally replaced, the only difference between ADSL and VDSL is linespeed and frequency response.

The only way you'll get to the bottom of it is with a broadband engineer and associated dslam intervention imo.

Is there spare ports? ... I'd doubt it, but worth a try ... allbeit to prove a datalink.   ;))

BTW ... do your self a favour, and ditch BT home hubs.  You need a good vdsl router, especially on your line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pompey1898
Expert
Message 38 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @RogerB,

Many thanks for your post.  I hear what you say even though I do not understand it all Smiley LOL.

Getting the sort of engineer you specified maybe difficult on my own but hopefully @NeilO, the mod that is on my case, will be able to.

As far as a third party router is concerned @Keith_Beddoe suggested the TP-LINK N300 VDSL/ADSL.  However, that well known catalogue store also have the TP-Link AC1350 D-Band Archer and C60 C-Router reduced to the same price and I was wondering if that might be a little bit better ?

I am holding off ordering either in the hope that the fault on the line can be found and rectified.  I don't want to pay out and find I am no better off.

Happy New Year

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 53

Go to solution

the TP-Link AC1350  in argos is a router not modem router

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 53

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote: However, that well known catalogue store also have the TP-Link AC1350 D-Band Archer and C60 C-Router reduced to the same price and I was wondering if that might be a little bit better ?

I am holding off ordering either in the hope that the fault on the line can be found and rectified.  I don't want to pay out and find I am no better off.

Happy New Year

The TP-Link AC1350 is only a wireless router, so will not work on VDSL unless you buy a modem as well.

The TP Link AC1200 is a VDSL modem/router but its more expensive than the W9970.

The smart hubs do seem to be more fussy about the line conditions, and seem to lose connection if there is a burst of noise. I suspect that its due to the fact that it cannot be configured to a specific connection profile like VDSL.

0 Ratings