Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 11 of 53

Re: Persistent disconnects

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly,

An update.

Rang faults on Sunday and spoke to David in Liverpool who, on the face of it, seemed very capable. He spent quite some time on the phone with me but was unable to access my account to look into the fault.  He asked his manager to try and he could not either.  They also tried Middlesborough but gain they too failed.  He eventually said to leave it with him and he would ring me back after 1pm today.  No call back so far.

I received an email from the person I have been in contact with online who again said they had rung me but no call was received.

Moving on to today. I lost internet connection for about 10 minutes from 16:28.  The hub remained blue throughout.  Whilst typing this message I lost internet connection, with the hub again remaining blue.  Luckily I copied the message into Word to complete this message.  The hub is still blue but no access to the internet, or the HH6, until 17:01.

The hub shows no disconnection for the last 2 days,11 Hours33 Mins

What the heck is going on please ?  Do I need mod assistance ?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 53

Go to solution

Faulty home hub maybe?

pompey1898
Expert
Message 13 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe,

I wondered that.  What would be the tell tale sign to point one in that direction, or is there some test to prove the point please ?

I do have another HH6 but am reluctant to swap unless it is absolutely necessary, as it will require resetting several devices.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 53

Go to solution

If you have another HH6 can you not change its SSid and wireless password to be the same as your present one and that would save you having to change all your devices.

You should be able to do that on the "new" HH6 prior to connecting it to the phone socket by switching it on and connecting it to your computer by Ethernet and accessing the settings. Once you have changed them you would then just replace the "old" one and your devices should connect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 53

Go to solution

Swapping it out, would be the easiest option, as there could be an intermittent component failure inside the one you are using at the moment.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 16 of 53

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

The HH6 I said I had can't be found.  I suspect my wife or I threw it out somewhen in the last 4 months.

In any case it was the one which I replaced, back in August, with the current one to see if it cured the disconnects, see :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Daily-disconnects-and-sporadic-slow-speeds/td-p/18594....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 53

Go to solution

Without another router to try, its going to be difficult to prove. The home hubs do seem very sensitive to line conditions, even the slightest bit of noise seems to force a retrain. I suspect the reason is that it has an open profile, as it has to look for all possible connection types.

Third party routers normally allow you to specify the connection profile, so if it disconnects, it knows what to look for.

The issue with a blue light, and no Internet connection, seems common with the home hubs.

Here is one example https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/td-p/188242...

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 18 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe,

Many thanks for your reply and suggestion.  However, I am reluctant to fork out for a third party router and then find, as suggested by @imjolly and others, it is in fact a line problem and I am still stuck.

Never got the promised phone call from David in Liverpool yesterday so I will try 151 again and if that fails could you request mod help for me please ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 53

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @Keith_Beddoe,

Many thanks for your reply and suggestion.  However, I am reluctant to fork out for a third party router and then find, as suggested by @imjolly and others, it is in fact a line problem and I am still stuck.

Most places, like Argos, allow you to return a product within 30 days, which would be plenty of time to prove whether ita a line issue. It depends on how quickly you want to prove the fault.

Howerver, I will ask a moderator to look at the line performance.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 53

Go to solution

Hi @pompey1898,

I'm sorry you haven't received your call back. I'd be more than happy to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings