cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Phone line dead and Infinity download and upload speeds reduced

My mother's phone line went dead early this afternoon - from the look of it looks like it's disconnected (no power) have reported and hopefully be fixed quickly, however it has also affected BB download speed from 29Mbps to 21 and upload from 6Mbps to about 1 - is this something that could happen with a phone fault and should the speeds return to normal when the phone line is fixed?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone line dead and Infinity download and upload speeds reduced

Yes, if one wire is disconnected then the phone will not work, and broadband speed will be reduced. This will recover when the phone line is fixed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

They told me that this could very likely fixed without the engineer visiting the house - is that possible?

When I first tried reporting the fault the automated check said it couldn't find anything wrong (even though line completely dead as a do-do!) it wasn't till I managed to speak to a human that he said there was a fault.

I must say that after a prolonged outage at work with the phone lines and now todays events I don't expect it to be sorted that quickly.

Not much confidence in BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

yes it is possible without visiting the house also the network is owned and maintained by Openreach on behalf of all service providers not BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 7

Which exchange are you on?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Have you tried plugging the phone in the hidden test socket?

You probably have a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are needed for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual.

To confirm this please post your full router stats. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

It is likely that the break occurs between you & the exchange/cab, but it needs your ISP to call out BT Openreach to fix it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

The test socket was the first thing I tried when I noticed the line was dead

According to fault tracking it appears to be located close to the house - so presumably the cabinet?

Using HH4 so can't post stats

0 Ratings