I ordered Infinity back at the end of October 2013 and have finally had it installed today after several false starts. The problem has been "faults on the line" which have been discovered by engineers each time they came to set it up. The engineer came today and announced there were no faults on the line and he set about installing Infinity.
Having announced that all was well he made a phone call to an automated line testing service and then declared all was well and off he went.
Shortly afterwards I needed to make a call and discovered that there was no ring tone. When people tried to call me the phone rang and kept on ringing (in a muted kind of way) when i picked up the phone. The caller number displays and the calls go to 1571 (though we can't call that service). Meanwhile the internet appears to be fine.
I have performed all the tests possible including using an old wired phone in the lower socket. There is never a dial tone.
As we don't get a mobile signal here I spent nearly an hour in a field where I could get a signal trying to get through to BT helpdesk on a mobile without any joy. I have emailed several times and also tried the online chat function - after queuing for 40 minutes I was "requeued" by the operator whose only response was to paste some link to troubleshooting video I might want to watch.
I logged a fault on bt.com/faults but when I went to check on the status of the fault it seemed to be saying that they had checked the line and could find no fault and recommended that I phone the helpline(!). If only I could.
Looking through the boards it seems this has happened to others before.
If I can't use the phone I will have to travel 160 miles roud trip to my office as I need the phone for my work.
Has anyone any ideas about how I can get this sorted out?
Thanks for the reply.
It says "We have run a line test and we cannot find a problem with your line."
I have managed to arrange for an engineer to visit today. If he turns up I'll give an update on the problem.
Looks like an incorrect install in the house. A moderator should be in touch fairly soon on this forum (not on the non-working telephone!). It will probably take a few days for them to get time to handle the case, but they should get it sorted.
The engineer came and after about an hour the phone was working again. Apparently the fault was unrelated to the Infinity installation and was an unfortunate co-incidence. It seems there is a fault with "pressurised cables from the exchange" whihc developed shortly after the infinity engineer attended yesterday.
The engineer today swapped our wires over in the street cabinet and now the phone and broadband are both working.
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my issue.