cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
helenmac1cat
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Ping/Latency Issues (BT Infinity 2 + HH5)

Since the 8th of December I have been getting random ping spikes from 20ms (normal) to 600ms (unusable) and it's making online game not possible. 

Does anyone else have this issue and is there a fix?

I have tried power-cycling the hub (HH5) and sitting closer to the hub (wifi) and it makes no difference.

It happens on both WIRED and WIRELESS.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
torm3nt
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ping/Latency Issues (BT Infinity 2 + HH5)

Constantly. I just ragequit Heroes of the Storm because I couldn't deal with the network spikes (it actually tells you in-game). Most I've seen is about 40 spikes/min. HUGE amount of packet loss and I"m near breaking point. It's been 2 weeks for me personally and I'm absolutely **bleep**ing fed up.

Far too long to deal with this bull**bleep**.

0 Ratings
helenmac1cat
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

@torm3nt wrote:

Constantly. I just ragequit Heroes of the Storm because I couldn't deal with the network spikes (it actually tells you in-game). Most I've seen is about 40 spikes/min. HUGE amount of packet loss and I"m near breaking point. It's been 2 weeks for me personally and I'm absolutely **bleep**ing fed up.

Far too long to deal with this bull**bleep**.

Did this only start happening to your recently like it did with me? Or has it been an ongoing issue, because i'm trying to find out what is causing it, I think it's a BT problem but i'm not sure.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

What are you doing when it happens?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Hi

Don't switch the hh5 on / off two often as this could make the connection worse.

Sounds like the  dlm  (the dreeded line managent) has already interleaved the line & added impluse noise protection that will cause the increase in ping / lantency & reduce speeds. 

Personnally I raise another fault & see if the line checks come back with anything that might need an openreach visit.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21

Also check if there is anything up locally with openreach's new checker tool.

http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/problems-with-your-phone-or-broadband/search.aspx

If the test come back with no fault found, then possibly research using a openreach modem with the hh5 or get a 3rd party non-bt all-in-one.

Happy Xmax/ hoildays dispite the connection mischief. 🙂

0 Ratings
Tony-gbr
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

My internet has been disconnecting every few hours for a week. Had engineer out today who said electrical interference. Borrowed my brothers old VDSL modem and bought a new router from PC world tonight £130. Haven't been disconnected once. Your pings are atrocious. If BT won't reset my DLM I'm cancelling my direct debit. Had infinity 3 months without problem always getting 38/7.5 but because of all the disconnects I get between 2mb-18mb down. My ping has gone from 8 to 40. And yes even this small ping increase is noticeable on battlefield 4. I'm not waiting 2 weeks minimum to see my speed go back up. I'll give BT the option tomorrow morning to reset my line profile which will take them five mins. Or I'll switch ISPs. Don't bother me about my credit rating. I have credit cards so I can take a hit on this. You need to be firm with BT. Built in router modems for VDSL are unreliable. The open reach modem and a decent router is more reliable.
0 Ratings