Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Ping Spikes

@JohnC2 

Everyone has been really helpful at BT but unfortunately our problem is not resolved and therefore I have made contact asking how we can leave the BT service after the Corona situation dies down a little.

Unless there is anything else you guys are able to try??

We are still having constant latency spikes even on wired connection. Here is what my latency looks like today using the BT min-connectors (we have similar results using a giant ethernet cable running through the house).

As you can see it is absurdly unstable and jumps every few seconds between 30 and 100 ish, sometimes spiking up to 2000 plus. It is often significantly worse than this as well. This is making it impossible to game, but also is affecting our work as I now have to teach from home over Zoom, and the latency makes is impossible for long periods at a time.

There are only two of us at home and we still have this problem even if my device is the only one online and I am ONLY running ping plotter nothing else.

Thanks 

Latency Thursday Afternoon.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ping Spikes

Hi @Sulzmann,

Welcome back and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing high latency on your connection.

I have moved your post onto its own thread because you have mentioned that you still have problems if only one device is connected. This would show that your issue is not related to the known Netflix and gaming latency issue.

This is more than likely a normal broadband fault, I take it you have reported the fault to us?

If so what way has the fault been left with you, have you been told the next steps or why we can't fix the fault at the moment? (example engineers being unable to enter the property)

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Matt-S 

Yes I agree it could actually be a regular fault - I think the new Smart Hub 2 we have been sent helped a bit with strain when two people are using the internet.

We are waiting for an engineer tomorrow and apparently there is a local fault which should be fixed by next Thursday. I am a bit dubious as it has been like this for a long time now but will wait and see what happens after they fix the fault.

Thanks for your response and will post here if anything happens.

Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Matt-S

The engineer didn't show up on Saturday but we did get a text today saying that the local fault in our area had been resolved. However I can confirm the problem still persists and in ping plotter I can see our ping is spiking into the hundreds at least once per minute (using wired connection).

Please advise how we can proceed. If this issue is not resolvable I will be seeking to terminate my contract ASAP. There is a giant thread on this forum in which some users seem to have had a fix applied to their account with some success - do you know about this? 

Thanks for your help

Matt

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi @Sulzmann,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yeah, I'm aware of the fix which we have put in place on some customers connections on the large thread. This fix would have been put on your line when @DavidM previously dealt with you case but as you are not experiencing the exact same issue then it would likely not have helped your connection. Customers on that thread have a perfect connection when not streaming but in your case, you are reporting that you are seeing spikes when not streaming. 

Can you post copies of the Ping Plotter tests from when you used the ethernet cable?

How was the case left with you when you last spoke to David?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi @Matt-S

Could we try at least ? As the problems are definitely worse while someone is streaming.

We got a text from BT yesterday saying our fault had been resolved... but actually the internet is now far worse than ever - we can't get any WIRELESS connection to the Smart Hub to work at a reasonable speed (to the point where we can't even load the Youtube homepage). This has been doing on for days now (ping plotter shows ping in the thousands, with huge packet loss and connection dropping entirely at regular intervals).

I have attached a screenshot from my desktop right now (WIRED). Before our fault was "fixed" I would usually get a flat line with enormous but short spikes several times per minute which was extremely frustrating but better than this. As you can see it is now a completely unstable (even tho I am <1 to router itself).PING 14-04-20.png

I believe the case was left with us waiting to see if an engineer visit could fix it. We are waiting for another engineer to visit tomorrow but the last one told us our home set up was completely fine (and he replaced the socket to be safe) so I am not expecting him to be able to do much tomorrow.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 10

Hi @Sulzmann thanks for posting that screenshot. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to check if anything else can be done to help with your connection.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Hi @JohnC2  and @Matt-S 

The engineer came today and reset(?) our line... he said our SNR was 3 and that it shoudl be at least 6. This sounds promising, however...

The screenshot is taken from my desktop which is idle on a wired connection.

John I have responded to your message thanks for your help. Feels like have I have tried everything now so I will go through with the team once more when they get in touch and if we can't get an improvement we will be terminating as I require a stable connection for work now.

Thanks for all your help though!

ping 15-04-min.png

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

That engineer needs to go back in training as he obviously hasn't heard of G.INP which lowers the noise margin to 3dB when active.

0 Ratings
Sulzmann
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hi @pippincp

Anything you can suggest I try myself or ask BT to do/provide?

I've run out of things to do and am by no means an expert but it doesn't seem like the problems I am having with latency etc can be universal to all customers as it makes the connection unusable at times/for certain purposes. There must be a solution!
0 Ratings