cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Ping decreased from 21ms to 6ms after BT installation

I just had BT Fibre 2 installed on Friday in my second property. When doing speed tests on speed test.net I was getting ping 21ms. Yesterday and today, the ping has now decreased to 6 ms and the speed has gone up from 42mb to 76mb. 

why has this happened? The connection was perfect the first few days despite lower speed and higher ping however ever since the ping has decreased to 6ms, I notice huge ping spikes and buffering and this wasn’t happening when the ping was 21ms.  This doesn’t make sense because surely lower ping = better connection? 

how can I reverse this? 

thanks 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ping decreased from 21ms to 6ms after BT installation

Is this something to  with your VDSL profile switching from interleave to fastpath? See if the CRC errors are building up in your router log.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

It says I’m on fastpath, but I don’t know why my connection seems worse with a lower ping and higher speed. My other property I was only getting 40 mb download with around 25-30 ping despite being on the 76mb package and it hasn’t changed once but works perfectly.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

if you are using the SH2 then it always shows fastpath regardless whether on Fast or interleaved

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings