cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Ping spikes when gaming & using Netflix or other video streaming services

As the title says, when gaming and someone streams Netflix or Amazon Prime video then my latency in-game starts spiking.

My download is about 60 Mbps, upload 20 Mbps & ping is 25 ms. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ping spikes when gaming & using Netflix or other video streaming services

Hi @sw4ny welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry you are experiencing a problem with ping spikes when gaming and streaming.

Please would you connect your gaming device directly to the Hub with an Ethernet cable and ensure you have no powerline adapters or ethernet switches are connected. 
Are you using the BT Hub? If not please connect it up and check the ping.

What ms are you seeing on the ping spikes?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Unfortunately there would be no way for me to setup the Xbox directly at the BT hub due to the layout of the house and the hub being connected to a phone line. On the game the ping would sit at an average of 60-70ms (no lag) however spike in intervals to 150-300ms constantly if someone is streaming Netflix etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

I'm having similar issues. Speedtest shows high download/upload speed and low ping, however while gaming or streaming I am experiencing huge lag spikes between 3-10s long. Pingplotter shows around 30-60% packet loss on third hop (which i'm guessing is BT's headend). I've spend around a week troubleshooting this issue and i'm at my wit's end

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

How are you connected @sw4ny? Are you going through adaptors?

@GaleEvans if you start your own thread and post tracerts, ping plotter and speed test results we'll try to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi David, I'm connected through wireless WiFi my Xbox directly to the hub, no adapters or se secondary routers are in my house. The hub is also in a room beside the room with the Xbox so it's not a range thing. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for that @sw4ny.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel? have you switched off smart setup?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

No, how is this done? 

Do you also mean changing the wireless channel for the Xbox alone so it is on a different channel to the devices streaming?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi sw4ny,

Take a look at How do I change the wi-fi channel on my BT Hub

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Have you got any other suggestions? The channels doesn't change or resolve the issue. I see this issue has been spoken about a lot on the forms. 

0 Ratings