cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Pings Doubled/Speed Drop/Packet Loss When it Rains/Windy

Hello, this isn't my first post but my broadband is getting worse and I just don't know what to do?

Okay, from the beginning;

Prior to February this year, my internet has been great, not a single complaint. But since we have had a storm around then, things have just not been the same. Today has been by far the worst... but still above the minimum?! There is more to the internet that just speed.

I have had consistent and stable internet for best part of a decade and connected from 68mbps to 72mbps all the time. However, this has dropped and constant fluctuations in speed, pings and now packet loss. But today is the last straw as I am connection at around 60mbps and my pings have gone from sub 10ms to around 20ms with spikes of over 40ms and if I run speed tests, I am getting packet loss on several hops. My issue isn't a speed drop, that I can accept, but my pings have literally doubled overnight and I'm getting packet loss when I use it.

I have tested the line for noise and the occasional static and click is back, it does seem very much weather related. Maybe, as the line is underground, it could be getting flooded?

I have added my ping plotter to ping BBC and I have tried various different ip's and from my own dedicated servers to google.co.uk and pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com all show consistent packet loss when I run a speed test, this only happens when I use it, under idle it doesn't happen. However, it is still double what it has ever been, no matter what. I had an engineer visit and a previous issue sorted itself out (it wasn't raining). I live ~100m from the cabinet.

BTChecker.JPGrouter.JPG

ping.JPG

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Pings Doubled/Speed Drop/Packet Loss When it Rains/Windy

My issue is somewhat weirder than expected. An engineer came over and ran some tests and all he could get was 60mbps, so he did a line reset and it went back up to around 70mbps and the pings dropped again? Is there any reason why this keeps happening?

pingNormal.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

So nobody can explain this to me?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@BoNfiRe wrote:

So nobody can explain this to me?

You have done that already.

Quote "I have tested the line for noise and the occasional static and click is back, it does seem very much weather related. Maybe, as the line is underground, it could be getting flooded?"

Its the noise which is causing line errors, forcing re-transmissions, and slowing down response times.

0 Ratings