Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Piperdam - Cabinet Upgrades

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may be able to assist/advise. My husband and I currently live in Kent, where we currently have a very good fibre connection, and will soon be relocating to Scotland. We have found a property that we like in Piperdam, but are very concerned at the current broadband connection speed and likelihood of it being increased. Currently the speed is approximately 1.6Mbps, which will not really satisfy our needs for gaming, streaming 4K television, Facetime, etc.

We called BT customer service, who suggested looking for another property, but we'd really like to see if there is a viable solution. Checking on the Openreach fibre checker and Codelook I've established that the Crescent in which the property is located is served by Muirhead Exchange 6 via an EO line. All surrounding streets are currently in plan with anticipated go live dates of April and October 2017 and some of these were also connected to Exchange 6. Is there any way of having someone check that the street hasn't been omitted accidentally, or if it is really in future rollout plans?

We've explored other solutions: satellite (latency issues), mobile (patchy signal and data caps), and WISP (local provider won't erect transmitter as fibre cabinets are being rolled out as above). Basically a community partnership to fund supply locally will be a non-starter as cabinets are being installed in the surrounding streets.

The couple selling really need to move, and we'd love to buy so any help in who to contact to check would be very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Piperdam - Cabinet Upgrades

No one here will be able to tell you.

Have you tried contacting the Scotland BDUK scheme?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for the response. I'm having problems sourcing an email address or telephone number of someone who can investigate or advise. Every form I've filled out has resulted in an automated response which is frustrating. I've found another form located at https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/contact/ and tried this one. Is this the scheme you are referring to in your post?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Yep, that's them.

You can try contacting Openreach via their website, but they're unikely to give out such information, especially if it is BDUK funded work.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

It does appear to be BDUK funded work according to the information I've seen on CodeLook. I have tried contacting Openreach, but via their forms, and it's only every automated responses that they issue that isn't relevant.

Ah well - it's not looking promising. A shame - since it's a lovely house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Plans can change. So even if it was earmarked for upgrade, it's not guaranteed.

My advice to you, if broadband is that important, is move to a house which already has the existing connectivity infrastructure that you require, in place.
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thank you. We do have a shortlist of houses - none have 'fantastic' broadband but this was by far the worst. We just wanted to exhaust every avenue before giving up on the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

The problem is the line being EO and other properties around being via a cabinet. Even with BDUK funding some EO lines are just not viable.

Openreach are commited to push fibre further into the network but commercially it has to be done in stages. FTTC was the first, GFast will be (is) the next and it will continue but in all honesty we are looking at years from now.

The recent OFCOM decision to seperate Openreach from BT Group (on BT Group's terms) has also put another spanner in the works, which will delay future development.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

All the properties were EO - the cabinets for the other streets are only just being enabled. Some of the properties appear to currently be connected to Exchange 6 as well which was what made me wonder why this one street was being omitted and if it was possibly an error.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Quick update - we decided to risk it and purchase the property. It was a long time until our entry date but after moving fibre became available a few months later. 

We have another issue today but will post that as a separate thread.

0 Ratings