Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andygo999
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Please check my stats - slow broadband

Hi

Could someone check the figures I've taken from the Technical Log and Broadband checker and see if they can identify any problems please.

We switched to BT Fibre to Cabinet 6 weeks ago and our broadband went up to 10-11mbs - which was amazingly fast for us (we're 2.4km from the cabinet so will never get superfast speeds).

However since then our speeds have got slower - somewhere between 5-6mbs.

I work from home so getting back up to 10mbs would really help me.

I've changed the filter and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The router and corded phone are the only things plugged into the master socket - there are no other extensions.

I asked BT if they could do anything their end but said they couldn't (when we were on Sky they claimed they were able to boost the signal. I've no idea if this is true or they were just spinning us a line).

As we are above the 4mbs speed guarantee BT won't do anything. They offered to send an engineer - but with the  £85 fee if our wiring was at fault

I just did a quiet test from the master with the corded phone. I could hear a very faint noise (like a fax machine) intermittently. I did it a few times - sometimes complete silence, other times the faint fax-like noise  Would that be enough to warrant an engineer call out? If so would I have to pay for it?

Is there anything else from the stats below that would show why the speed has halved in six weeks.

Thanks in advance

Andy 

BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics. (I took out some readings like serial number - but can put back in if needed)

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:
Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

03-Apr-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 34 Minutes 52 Seconds

Data rate:

800 kbps / 6.40 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1160 / 11736

Noise margin:

14.7 dB / 13.5 dB

Line attenuation:

53.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

18 dB / 53.8 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

20 MB Uploaded / 88 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9MRS

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 6)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9MRS

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0.48.8-sec

andygo999_0-1589976845849.png

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Please check my stats - slow broadband

The quiet line test should be silent. Report a noisey line, don't mention broadband.

0 Ratings