cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smegleyshire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Please help - Faulty openreach modem but BT India insist on sending me a new Home Hub 3...

Hi,

After having recently been upgraded to Infinity 2, my connection went intermittent and then off completely last week. I called BT India who said the fault was not at my end and that I should give it 24-48 hours for the problem to be resolved. After a couple of days, still no connection.

I am aware that early openreach modems have a reliability issue as this modem is my second (the original died after a couple of months and was replaced by an engineer who had done four that morning). I got a letter about a swap out last November but never heard anything more after that, so the modem I am using is not a new one. The modem is wall mounted under my desk. So, after 48 hours of no connection, last week I placed a fan under the desk next to the modem to blow cool air at it. Within a minute or two I had a connection again. Switch off the fan, give it a few minutes and the connection is dropped again.

I then rang BT India again (got a woman called Romy) and tried to explain to her that the problem was my modem. She just said it was "very strange" and had no knowledge of the reliability issues of these early modems. She said she would have a replacement sent to me and I got her to confirm that it was an "openreach modem" that she was ordering.

I've just been away in Belgium for 4 days and returned today (Monday) to find a missed delivery card (which looks like it was from earlier this morning) and a letter from BT. The letter says we're sorry that your "BT home hub 3.0 black" is not working and that I'll get my replacement soon! Arrrrrgghhh! I don't even use the hub 3 I've got as I have a DLink DIR-825 router of my own!

Do BT India actually know what an openreach modem for BT infinity is? It appears not from my experience.

So, if somebody on here from BT UK could kindly assist in getting me a new modem either by post or sending an engineer round to do a swap out (and advising me of what to do with the home hub 3 I'm about to receive) then I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Ade.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Please help - Faulty openreach modem but BT India insist on sending me a new Home Hub 3...

You can contact the mods here https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
smegleyshire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Please help - Faulty openreach modem but BT India insist on sending me a new Home Hub 3...

Update.

BT India have now rung me back, different member of their call team, wanting to know if my system was working.

After explaining again to him, he straight away said "I'll send an engineer out tomorrow, morning or afternoon?"

Wish they had taken that option when I called last week.

I'll ping the hub back in the returns bag when it arrives (with a note attached saying it's not a dud), then hopefully I won't get charged for that.

0 Ratings
smegleyshire
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Bullitt for the link - I'll bookmark that just in case I need it in future...
0 Ratings
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Hi Ade,

Keep an eye on your BT bill, I was sent a replacement hub and was charged for the postage! (sorry they tried to charge me!) - took the mods to arrange a refund!

Michael

0 Ratings