Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alucidnation
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Plusnet to BT

Hi all,

Thinking of jumping ship to BT, however, for some reason my line speeds have dropped over the last few weeks.

Engineer was going to the cabinet to perform a reset but as yet, they are still the same.

Reason im here is that if my line speeds are at the max now ad wont ever increase, this affects the package i would choose.

How long should the reset take and how immediate is it?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Plusnet to BT

Welcome to this user forum.

This is a BT Retail forum. As you are a Plusnet customer, you need to post on their user forum to sort out your line speed problem

Plusnet forum - Index | Community Site

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

If your speeds are already that close to the package boundary, it is probably not worth bothering with a faster package. I.e, the difference between 55M and (say) 65M would be virtually unnoticeable in the real world.

What was your previous speed and what is it now?

Message 4 of 13

@Alucidnation the reset it should happen instantly if it was done by an engineer.  When was the engineer at the cabinet?

0 Ratings
Alucidnation
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

He was there about 10.30 ish.

He came in, checked the line and then said he was going to reset it and it should take about half an hour.

Speeds before were around 67, and i have just performed another check and im still at around 47.

Even he said that i had good speeds before and could see it drop over night.

Should i reboot the modem?

Still running the OR original one from a few years ago.

EDIT: After reading various theads over the net, some are saying it can take a number of days to reset and for speeds to increase, and yet some are saying it's instant?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Don't reboot anything. If the speeds haven't changed at all and there has been no break, then the reset hasn't been done yet. When the reset happens, you will get an initial increase in speed followed by another a few days later when G.Inp kicks back in.

Alucidnation
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Ok thanks.

I thought the reset and speed increase happened instantly!

0 Ratings
Alucidnation
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Well, as it turns out, the engineer from yesterday didn't actually do anything.

I had another attend today and conducted various tests and went off to swap pairs all the way back to the cabinet, 

He said he managed to up the speed from the cabinet to the chamber to 60, and to my test socket 54 ish.

Plusnet have just tested the circuit and im now connecting at 51(?) and my DL speeds are still exactly the same as before.

I am struggling to understand how my DL speeds have literally plummted overnight (which he could see from his portable display thing).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

DLM maybe? Plusnet have their own page https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

They may operate it differently to BT Retail, but you will only find that out if and when you move.

0 Ratings
Alucidnation
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Hi Keith,

I did mention this to him but he didnt seem to think it had done anything to the line.

This is the thing, i am looking to move to BT but i dont want to pay more for the SF2 if i am only going to get 50ish as I understand the max i will ever see on SF1 is 55.

If speeds improve i can upgrade to SF2, but i don't see how my actual speeds would increase in time.

My only experience of speeds changing is them getting slower!

Just to add that i am currently running an original ECI openreach modem and but I now have just had a Draytek 2762 delievered so i might swap them out and see if that improves anythng my end.

0 Ratings