cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ian2011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Pointless upgrade?

I've just received an email stating that I can upgrade my BT Infinity speeds from 38Mb to up to 76Mb. I ran the test for my line to determine what my line speed can upgrade to, my results are as follows:

You currently get
35Mb-48Mb

You could get
35Mb-48Mb

What is the point of me upgrading my speed if there is absolutely no difference? Is this an error with the result or is my line simply capped at those speeds in my area? These results certainly don't reflect a 76mb connection.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Pointless upgrade?

The speed available depends mainly on the distance you are from the cabinet. The checker will give you a good estimate at www.dslchecker.bt.com and if you have a HH5 the line stats from the HH5 will also give a good idea. These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Ian2011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

So my follow up question is, if the line doesn't support upgraded lines speeds why offer them in the first place?

It seems a little odd when they state in the promotional email.
" You can now get faster broadband speeds in your area because we've improved our network. "

When clearly they haven't.

Also I still have a HH3.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

BT send out these mailings to all its customers at times.It is generic and does not take into account individual users lines. That is why you should do as you have done and check if the "upgrade" is worth while. The speeds are also market as "up to 78Mbps" it does not say that you will get that speed.

There is nothing wrong with still having the Homehub 3. If it is doing everything it is meant to do then stick with it. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

0 Ratings
Ian2011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I think you miss the point. The fact that it clearly states " You can now get faster broadband speeds in your area because we've improved our network. "  leads me to believe that this means an improvement on my current line. This clearly isn't the case, there has been no so called network improvement at all. If there was then my line test results would be very different.

Also I do not expect the line to be bang on 78Mbps I understand that, but seeing as there wasn't ANY change to my line results leads me to believe that this email is a fabrication and that there have not been any improvements to the network in my area.

The email just seems a bit spammy to me. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

"The email just seems a bit spammy to me".  That's because it is, only big companies call it marketing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

just run the dslchecker from link ray posted and see what options you get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings