Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nealblath
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Poor Communication from BT Business

Hello

I have just had Infinity installed into my business premises. This took place yesterday (although it should have happened 2 days earlier) and I have no problems with the Infinity itself, its working great.

My problem is with the communication between BT Business and it's so called business customers.

When I signed up to upgrade to infinity from my old broadband, the sales person asked if I had a router and I told him that I had a Netgear N600 router working on my old Broadband.  He said great and he wouldnt bother sending out another hub for Infinity.

It wasn't till I was checking through the BT forums that I found out that my router was an ADSL router and wouldnt work with Infinity and that I needed a VDSL router.  So I bought a TP-Link AC1900 the next day in preparartion for the Infinity going live.

So yesterday, I received a text saying my Infinity would be live by midnight.  My old Broadband went dead about 10am yesterday and I struggled all day trying to get 3G connection on my phone to send emails etc.  It got to about 7pm and I was thinking I should have at least heard some progress by now and I remembered on one of the texts from BT it said I could track the progress of my order through the BT app.  So I struggled to download the app in an upstairs room where I can just about receive 3G.  After about an hour the app had loaded up and it said my order was complete!!!.....but my internet connection was still dead!

Eventually, I realised I had to input my old username and password that was in use on my old broadband into the new router settings and voila!!..........superfast braodband at last!

Surely someone should've contacted me at some point in the day and said everything was ready and then proceed to tell me how to get the infinity up and running!........ I could probably have been connected by lunchtime if an engineer had bothered to inform me everything was ready.

Very poor communication from such a very large company........It's not rocket science!

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Poor Communication from BT Business

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 16

Welcome to the residential forum.

You would be best posting on the Business Forum here:  https://business.forums.bt.com/

You may get a better answer to your questions there.

Snap.Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
nealblath
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

for chuffs sake.......what difference does it make which forum I am posting on???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

BT Retail and BT Business are two separate entities, and your post here, will not be seen by anyone from BT business.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 16

I'm at a loss here. You knew that a username and password was required for your ADSL connection but thought not for a VDSL connection?

What business are you in again???

0 Ratings
nealblath
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Well, we're not all computer boffs and I would've thought that somewhere in the upgrade it would've been prudent for BT to provide a little bit of guidance as to how us mere mortals should connect to the new service!

All it required was a simple instruction of "use same log in details as your old broadband service".....do you not agree?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

I am surprised you did not get a new hub when you upgraded but possibly it was because you were not currently using the hub but 3rd party modem/router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

I doubt if the sales person would have a clue about what you neeed or don't need when it comes to using third party equipment on the BT network.

I most cases BT will assume that you are using BT equipment which does not need a username or password. 

Because you have chosen to use a third party VDSL/Modem router you need to enter a username and password.

If you had checked the instructions of the third party VDSLModem/router I am sure that you would have found that it will tell you that you need a password and username.

Personally I don't think BT are at fault in this instance

0 Ratings
nealblath
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

lord above

0 Ratings