cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanbab51
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Poor Customer Service and lack of Openreach communication

I noted a fault with my broadband online on 7 September....it was intermittent and speed wasn't reduced so i didn't expect anything to need to be done.

I received an early morning alarm call (at 0715 on Saturday 10 September) followed by an arrival at 0830 from a BT Openreach engineer who proceeded to do some work on my master socket, replacing the hardware and also changing some cabling in the box on the outside wall immediately opposite the master socket.  He then did line tests, reset the line, told me that everything should be fine and left 2 hours later.

However, my download speed has fallen from c.70mbps to c. 26mbps and remained the same since. I have had several frustrating calls and chats with the customer support team and callbacks from "level 2" support which have been unhelpful in that i had been told up until today that the issue was at the exchange but on today's call they said I need another engineer visit.....which is now scheduled for 30 September

I have no confidence in the customer support being able to assist to get this resolved any time soon.

Any assistance that can be offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Poor Customer Service and lack of Openreach communication

@seanbab51 wrote:

I noted a fault with my broadband online on 7 September....it was intermittent and speed wasn't reduced so i didn't expect anything to need to be done.

You must have rung it in and requested an engineer.

I received an early morning alarm call (at 0715 on Saturday 10 September) followed by an arrival at 0830 from a BT Openreach engineer who proceeded to do some work on my master socket, replacing the hardware and also changing some cabling in the box on the outside wall immediately opposite the master socket.  He then did line tests, reset the line, told me that everything should be fine and left 2 hours later.

However, my download speed has fallen from c.70mbps to c. 26mbps and remained the same since. I have had several frustrating calls and chats with the customer support team and callbacks from "level 2" support which have been unhelpful in that i had been told up until today that the issue was at the exchange but on today's call they said I need another engineer visit.....which is now scheduled for 30 September

I have no confidence in the customer support being able to assist to get this resolved any time soon.

Any assistance that can be offered would be much appreciated.

See what the engineer does/says on his visit.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
seanbab51
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi

Sorry, I didn't ring anyone, simply filled in an online form which then suggested there was a fault at the exchange, not at my premises. Therefore I was surprised with the call and arrival of the engineer.

I will wait to see what the engineer says but this doesn't detract from the poor customer service and lack of proper communication in terms of explaining the fault.

And as for the experience of dealing with customer support via live chat, then all I would say is that function is clearly not fit for purpose.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 10

I will never deny that BT is lacking in it's customer services. It clearly is due to using cheap offshore facilities, using scripts that do nothing more than enrage customers, promise callbecks that never happen, etc.

I wasn't attempting to deride you with my answer but presumed you hand called in.

The fact you used the online checker still means you instigated  something you said didn't bother you too much.

That said, when the engineer comes out on the 30th he should put everything right. Don't forget to ask him to do a DLM reset.

0 Ratings
seanbab51
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

I think I had a line reset done on the first visit........apologies for the newbie question, but what is a "DLM reset"?

Thanks again!
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Must have requested an Engineer?

No, seen it on many occasion where Engineer Appointments have been booked without the customers knowledge.

Also call centre operators have also got this habit of booking appointments then telling their customers the Engineer will only come to their house if they don't find a fault outside first.
0 Ratings
seanbab51
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

That's pretty much what has happened here.

I must admit it was an interesting conversation when I tried to convince the Openreach engineer that I didn't think I needed a visit, but he insisted on coming as there was a fault which needed fixed.

Right now I wish I had been totally insistent and refused him entry/access.

At least he seemed pretty professional and was polite and courteous, with a grasp of what he was trying to do. Although 10 days later, I am even questioning his technical capability!

There is a part of me that feels that calling him back on the number he called me might be the way to go!
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

If you'd have Refused him access he would've just closed the job as. 'Accessed Refused' and not completed any work.

That incurs a visit charge to your provider for wasting Openreaches time.
0 Ratings
hazelst3
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

It's a shame the customer can't charge Openreach for time wasting.......I would be very very rich by now!

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

No you wouldn't.
0 Ratings