cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Poor Fibre connection

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks we've noticed multiple connection losses from the internet. 

Today i've looked at the router stats and noticed that the upload is fixed at 700kbps, download at 44mbps, where the maximum theoretical speed is much higher than that (upload). The Broadband Checker (bt wholesale) says for VDSL the upload speed should be between 17-20mbps.

I've tried changing the microfilter, the master socket is a new NTE5 type but there are no extensions in place (the front door was replaced years ago and the original GP junction box replaced with a white plastic box with connectors inside) direct from the drop wire.

Anyone got some advice or help?

Cheers

Spoiler

Product name:
BT Hub 6A

Serial number:
+084316+NQ94137918

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:
30-Mar-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
0 Days, 2 Hours 39 Minutes 59 Seconds

Data rate:
799 kbps / 44.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
15342 / 55728

Noise margin:
23.3 dB / 9.7 dB

Line attenuation:
36 dB

Signal attenuation:
15.3 dB / 36 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Data sent / received:
195 MB Uploaded / 2 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:
Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-****

2.4 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-****

5 GHz wireless channel:
Smart (Channel 44)

Wireless security:
WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:
Mode 1

Firewall:
On

MAC address:
5C:B1:3E:0A:0E:95

Software variant:
-

Boot loader:
0.48.8-sec

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Poor Fibre connection

Check you line for noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone preferably from test socket 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Don't have a corded phone but did this already, slightest hiss on a cordless phone (and then putting on speaker phone silent).

We have historically had a noisy line and poor ADSL speed but that went away when the GP junction box was changed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Did you use the test socket?  Any noise is a problem. With cordless then sometime dull hum but hiss is a problem

obviously better with corded phone as then totally silent

if your connection is continually dropping even if you connect to test socket then you need engineer viist

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Hi,

There are no extensions on our line - the drop wire comes in and straight to the master socket. Used to have a line upstairs too but that was left disconnected as a new cable would have had to be run.

I think I've managed to open a fault - currently staying it's at stage 1/4.

Still the same symptoms today, internet dropped out at 3am or so for a few minutes then came back, yesterday it dropped out 8-10am. Still the same upload speed limit (what I can't understand is that the upload speed says 799kbps, but max speed says 15342kbps?)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Further to my last post -  I should correct my self - the drop wire comes onto the property, down to the front door (where it used to go into a screw terminal GP junction box, but now connects via jelly crimp connectors onto the only line into the master socket).

There is a POE CCTV camera sitting next to the junction box, and an ethernet cable running alongside the cable, so I will attempt to separate the two tomorrow to see if the speed improves - but it's been in that configuration for years with no problems previously. I would expect though that if that was the cause, the "maximum data rate" would also be degraded?

Fault still open - I will chat with someone tomorrow if possible to confirm that the fault is properly logged as "fault tracking" doesn't indicate any faults open.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

All fixed - the engineer came out and diagnosed a damaged wire near the pole?

50 down 10 up, much better!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Aaaaand we're back to square one.

3 weeks on and my parents are complaining the internet is dropping out again. Do another diagnostic test with BT and find we need another engineer.

2nd Engineer arrives, does his testing, and replaces the cable from where it arrives at the house (from the overhead line), to the master socket, which he replaces with an integral filter one. Resets the profile? and we're back at 50mb down, 10mb up.

6 days later we're now somehow WORSE than before, complete with multiple dropouts through some days (seem to get one in the early hours 12-2am every day, expect that may be something to do with the profile training itself?)

With the connection in this state, any kind of "upload" task (i.e. sending photos on messenger, online gaming, etc) bogs the download speed completely.

DSL uptime:
0 Days, 9 Hours 29 Minutes 46 Seconds

Data rate:
489 kbps / 20.80 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
587 / 42804

Noise margin:
19.6 dB / 19 dB

Line attenuation:
36.3 dB

Signal attenuation:
4.6 dB / 36.3 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Any ideas? Should we wait out the training period (another week or so?) before contacting BT again? At least before the download speed exceeded our minimum guaranteed - at present we're below our guaranteed speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Don't wait as it it will not recover however it is odd that keeps resetting at roughly same time 12/2am

do your have anything in your home that switches on/off during that time or anything near hub which could cause interference as it certainly sounds like some internal

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Only thing I can think of that may do anything is the BT tv box, which I think goes into deep standby?

Otherwise nothing goes to sleep, and there are no timers on in the house anywhere.

0 Ratings