cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RPR_Ford
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Poor SNR Downstream and Upstream - What can I do?

Go to solution

Hi,

Ive been having issues with the BT broadband cutting in and out or hanging as it feels. I upgraded to a Draytek Vigor130 Modem and Synology 2600 Router last month but still have the exact same issues.

I've bypassed the BT filter faceplate and checked my internal wiring and all appears good.

I still only see 2-4 (DB) on my Upstream and Downstream SNR.

Any advice please?

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 12.51.52.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Poor SNR Downstream and Upstream - What can I do?

Go to solution

I moved your post as you are on FTTC not adsl

the 3db noise margin is giving you a faster speed but if your connection continues to drop then the DLM will take action and increase your noise margin

is there any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone in test socket with filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RPR_Ford
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Whats the DLM?

I don't have a phone to try.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Dynamic Line Management.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

the first basic check with nay broadband problems is to see if phone has a dial tone and if so is there line noise  an investment of about £5 on cheap corded phone could save you the engineers call out fee of £85

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RPR_Ford
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

My friend have me a phone to check the line and I can’t hear any noise.

something BT can fix? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

are you connecting the modem to the test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability?

can you post current stats showing internet connection time and not just system uptime

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

if you think it's the SNR causing the issues, then you can configure the SNR via the Vigor 130.

Telnet into the modem via it's IP, 

and use "v snr" command

You can configure it form -50 to 50, 1 = 0.1dB.

You can use it for testing, but I would let the DLM do it's job if it's dropping out.

0 Ratings
RPR_Ford
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Great thanks.

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 11.51.10.png

0 Ratings
RPR_Ford
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Ive removed the faceplate and connected direct which gave me around 4-5mb more on the download but 1-2mb less on upload. The SNR stayed the same
0 Ratings