cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d207c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Poor Upload speeds, disappointing download speeds - Infinity 2

So we've been on Infinity 2 for sometime and the speeds we get aren't what I was expecting. When I check the speeds I could get, the BT website says around 39Mb but that the actual speed would be 1 or 2Mb lower. I don't think we've ever gotten over 20Mb download. Our upload speeds have been awful too. We've never gotten over 1Mb upload. I might be wrong but I think the upload is the same now as it was before we got Infinity. 

I ran a test on Speedtest.net and got these results.

I get similar results when using the BT SpeedTester.

I've used the Broadband Availability Checker and if I'm reading things correctly I should be getting speeds much closer to what I was expecting.

bt.png

We've had an engineer out in the past and had no luck. He said there was nothing wrong on our end and he did some work at the exchange but there wasn't much difference but he said the speeds should be higher than what we are getting. 

Any ideas? Maybe an issue with the IP Profile?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: Poor Upload speeds, disappointing download speeds - Infinity 2

Hard to say without seeing your IP Profile.

Do you have a Homehub 5?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
d207c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

HomeHub 3.This is our second one, the first stopped working and BT replaced it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 21

Can you post your IP Profile by running the BT Performance test at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com please? When the first test has finished, press the Further Diagnostics button then after you enter your phone number, your IP Profile should be displayed.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
d207c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

I get an error message when I try Further Diagnostics. It says 'Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.'

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

In order to rule out the Homehub as potentially being the device responsible for your speed loss, you can connect the Openreach modem directly to the PC and see if the speed improves.

To do that follow these steps:

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem cable

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop to the modem via the cable instead

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

However, please note that this will stop any other access apart from the PC

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
d207c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

No change. Getting similar speeds as before.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 21

@d207c wrote:

I get an error message when I try Further Diagnostics. It says 'Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.'

Try this http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do it should take you stright to the further diagnostics, so then Ray will be able to see your IP Profile

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
d207c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

@dfenceman wrote:

@d207c wrote:

Try this http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do it should take you stright to the further diagnostics, so then Ray will be able to see your IP Profile

Still no luck. I got the same message.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 21

The problem you have is that you are within the range for an impacted line and neither BT nor any other UK domestic ISP is worried abour nor gives credence to upload speeds.

0 Ratings