Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rich_cross
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Poor performance and now dropping connection

I am very underwhelmed by performance since switching to infinity FTTC last year. Download speed is very variable and I just cannot get an upload speed much better than 1.1 Mb/s.

Now we have a regularly dropping connection. Last Saturday morning we had a thunderstorn with heavy downpour and phone line dropped completely - no dialtone and unsurprisingly no broadband. Did a line check from my mobile - all fine and no reported problems in the area. I phoned BT and got an Indian who just repeated what the website told me and said couldn't get an engineer for 4 days! Phone came back late the same afternoon and a little while later broadband came up but connection was up and down like a yo-yo. After 4 days of sunshine when the engineer turned up broadband had been up solid from 3 am and phone was fine. Engineer did more detailed tests which showed no problem and reckoned our problem must have been fixed, and that reason broadband had been dropping was because of computerised checks due to reported fault which would cause line to drop.

For a few days all was fine, although performance still underwheliming, until we had another downpour yesterday morning. Phone line stayed up, although a little crackly, but once again broadband started dropping regularly. Since then it has gradually improved (no more rain).

My suspicion is (and always has been) that with the heavy rain water is getting into a connection somewhere. How do I go about communicating it to BT support (I can't even find a web page or number for reporting broadband problems) this fact and actually getting someone to look into it properly? I rejected the "fault reported fixed" on the tracking your fault web page but so far nothing.

I am distinctly unimpressed with BT support and unless this gets fixed soon I am seriously thinking of switching to fibre to the home with Virgin (despite hating Branson) especially as the move from Yahoo mail to BT mail has not been smooth and the BT webmail is full of bugs (which again I cannot find any way of reporting). Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Poor performance and now dropping connection

If your line is being affected when it rains there is obviously a fault. It is probably as you suspect, a poor joint or something similar letting in water.

If the line is faulty and crackles you will never get good Internet speeds until that is fixed.

You need to contact BT  0800 800 151 and report a phone fault. Do not mention your broadband or this will take them down a different route. Reiterate to them that there is bad crackling on the line at all times and that the connection drops when it rains.

As regards the new BTMail, that is a separate issue and if you have specific problems that you want help with you should post what they are on the "Email" board.

0 Ratings
rich_cross
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I tried that. Broadband up and down regularly until the day the engineer came. Day before had intermittent heavy crackling on the line and calls dropping. Day he came all is fine and of course his diagnostics checks come back all clear. Apparently, or so he told me, they are not allowed to work on our line unless the checks show a fault...which they didn't.

I've just had 24 hours of our broadband working but just now it's started dropping regularly again.

I am getting very frustrated/annoyed. What do I do now? How do they expect to solve the problem if it isn't constant and they can't get an engineer to look at it within 3 or 4 days? Do I just keep on calling our an engineer until by chance it happens to hit a problem while they're on site? Not good for customer satisfaction and surely it must cost them to keep sending out an engineer!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

if openreach send an engineer and do find any fault then it may cost you on your next bill - I would keep checking as you may find £129.99 callout charge.  problem with internittent faults is getting the engineer at the right time as you cannot get an appointment on demand

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rich_cross
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Yeah. That's what worries me! At least the engineers can say there's nothing wrong with my equipment...

As for the problem after it started dropping again yesterday afternoon I got crackling on the line so I mentioned this to the support guy when I phoned..and he could actually hear it! So hopefully they now can't deny there's any fault. I've also been regularly saving the PPP messages from my HH3 event log as evidence...

They're due to be calling me back at lunchtime today so we'll see what happens.

0 Ratings