cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

Poor speeds - FTTP

Connected directly to the router with nothing else and WiFi disabled.

These are the speeds I am getting.

Should I not be getting the full synch speed? Test was run via link provided by BT.

https://ibb.co/1Jxmrwb

https://ibb.co/6mymHx5

https://ibb.co/68WrXzZ

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: Poor speeds - FTTP

Openreach use a 2.4Gbps GPON Network on a 32 Way Splitter. That PON could have 3 working Circuits on it, or it could have 32. How many exactly only Openreach will know. 

So basically that 2.4Gbps is shared amongst those up to 32 circuits therefore when you run a Speedtest you won’t always necessarily see 900Mbps, which is what I assume you’re on?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

If you are on a 500Mb speed profile, then after Ethernet ‘overheads’ etc . a very good speed test is  around  480Mb/s  ,

you haven’t said what speed you have purchased, if it’s 900Mb it’s not good,  and suggests you have been mis provisioned ( as 500 instead of 900 ) if it’s 500Mb you have purchased , than it’s absolutely bang on .

FYI , the reason the 1Gb profile is sold as 900Mb ( and the speed delivered is around 960Mb ) is to stop the misinformed complaining  that they are ‘only’  get 960Mb on a 1Gb service, better to sell 900Mb and give 960Mb ( not many will complain about getting more than expected ) than fend of those that don’t appreciate that a 1Gb service on a speed test won’t show 1Gb .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Am on the 500MB.

My issue is the device speed test comes back at less then 10% of the router synch speed, with nothing else connected apart from the test laptop and for good measures WiFi turned off.

Surely discrepancy isn't my internal network as no other RJ45 connections or WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Try a different cat5e or above ethernet laed. Make sure windows Onedrive or no other background data hogs are operating and test again. Post speed test result here as off site is a pain.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

This is with no other devices connected via Ethernet other than laptop, different RJ45 cable, wifi switched off on router.

Hub Smart Speed Test

Download Speed479.80 Mbps
Upload Speed73.10 Mbps

Device Speed Test

Download Speed63.85 Mbps
Upload Speed73.20 Mbps
Jitter21.41 ms
Latency/Ping3.20 ms

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

ran again for second time. The upload speed is always consistent on the device speed test between 68 to 73.

Hub Smart Speed Test

Upload Speed73.10 Mbps

Device Speed Test

Download Speed39.39 Mbps
Upload Speed71.79 Mbps
Jitter0.57 ms
Latency/Ping3.30 ms
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Third test, same poor speeds. This surely cant be right with single device hardwired and less than 10% of the advertised speed?

I doubt its network connection as FTTP has only been live in this area since December. On my CBT there are 5 connections and the street that is all as far as I can see from the other two poles.

Hub Smart Speed Test

Upload Speed73.10 Mbps

Device Speed Test

Download Speed66.03 Mbps
Upload Speed73.87 Mbps
Jitter0.57 ms
Latency/Ping3.20 ms
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

@Madhatter007 

I can only relate my experience using Wi-Fi on different devices. With a USB-C to Ethernet adapter connected to my iPad Pro (4th Gen) and a *Cat8 (5 Metre) Ethernet cable linking directly to my BT hub/router I see download speeds close to that advertised in my contract (Full Fibre 900) with BT. Similar with my iPhone 15 Pro. On Wi-Fi, download speeds are effectively halved on my iPad Pro (between 400-500Mb/s) and around 10% on my now ancient iPad Pro. So, I would say much depends on the capabilities of your target device.

*CAT 8 cabling has faster throughput over short distances — 40Gbps up to 30 meters

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

For arguments sake....what do you get here?

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings