Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loyalandtrue77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Poor speeds on BT infinity 2

Go to solution

Hi there, hopefully someone can help me out.

Since we moved into our new build property nearly a year ago our BT infinity 2 speeds and reliability have been a disappointment. The BT website suggested estimated speeds of up to 60M approx. We've suffered as low as 10M and currently getting 12M. We're definitely not getting what we're paying for and the poor speeds are making modern use of the internet very difficult, especially with having to rely on internet TV on top of freeview (no line of sight with sattelite).

Initially we experienved a lot of drop outs and our 20M download speed had reduced to 13M in no time at all. Not long after that, with further disconnects, our speed had reduced to 10M. At this point we ended up having a BT engineer visit. 

We have the main BT socket installed on the internal garage wall (starnge move by the bulider) and have a standard Openreach faceplate with 1 RJ45 socket. When the engineer visited he said that we were approx 900m from the cabinet and that we could only get an absolute max of approx. 25M. This was if we were prepared to have a new faceplate installed and situate the router in the garage. I wasn't happy having the router in there and I had also paid the builder to install a single cat 5 cable from a socket in the living room direct into the master socket in the garage. He checked out the internal wiring and said it was fine. After a profile reset I was getting 20M connected to that socket in the living room. Not ideal but acceptable considering my set up.

We've had a power cut since then, a lightning strike killing the HH5 and had to reset the router as it would just stop working (connection/line stats ok but no download). Our IP proflie now seems stuck at 12M with the only upside being that we no longer require to reset the router and up time can be 10 days or more at a time. Stability improved at the cost of the speed.

I connected the HH5 to the test socket today and have posted the results below. Compared with the same test in the living room socket - Line attenuation was 2db less and download SNR higher at 16.8 compared to 9.9. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 11.48.20.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 12.15.16.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 12.16.24.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-18 at 12.20.37.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Poor speeds on BT infinity 2

Go to solution

DLM has reduced your connection speed because of the line interruptions. It can take many weeks to recover.

0 Ratings
Loyalandtrue77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Yeah, it definitely has done. Been many weeks already, if not months. Looks like I'm still getting the odd disconnect which restarts the whole DLM cycle. I've never had anything like the hassle I've had with BT and this line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Loyalandtrue77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I did John. There is a slight crackly noise so will take your advice and give them a call. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Loyalandtrue77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Update for anyone that might find themselves in the situation I did. Solved my ongoing problem with poor speeds.

My sync speed had been banded after several DLM interventions on my line since February this year. Went from 21 Mbps down to 11.5 Mbps and stayed there. I had experienced a power cut, had to reset the router regularly as it would lock up (possible router fault) and a lightning strike killed the same HH5B. 

I believe the line is not the best, but improved since then. I also have a new HH5A router, which I have recently connected directly to a Mk3 bt openreach ADSL faceplate on terminals A & B (unfiltered). I also chnaged out my ADSL cable for a better quality twisted pair vesion. All giving me the best conditions for an improved sync speed in the event that dlm relented on my line, or manage to get an engineer call out to reset it. Noise margin, line attenuation and max attainable speed all improved.

I started to wonder whether or not a downgrade to BT infinity 1 would trigger a new product dlm reset. I had a look around the internet and many 'in the know' and experienced folk were adamant that it was merely a software change. My experience would suggest they're wrong. I found a few people who'd also experienced a dlm reset as a result of a downgrading.

Now getting a lovely 28 mbps. Excellent. Best I've had on this line.

It wont be a fix that suits everyone but if your speed has fallen well short of even the Infinity 1 cap then it might be worth a go, especially if your max attainable is only slightly into the Infinity 2 bracket.

You still need to make sure the original fault is cleared or you'll be wasting your time. I intend to purchase a modem/router that will allow me to access advanced line stats to monitor the line more closely. 

0 Ratings
Loyalandtrue77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Regarding the previous advice to carry out a silent call test and the slight crackle that I found.

I intend to monitor the line very soon and if I have any concerns I'll try the same test again at the test socket and take it from there. Thanks.

0 Ratings