cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ocukgilly
Message 11 of 15

Re: Poor speeds on Infinity 2

Yes, I was thinking that.

Just checked the event logs on the router though: QoS Rate cap set to 21.9Mbs.

Can they charge me for Infinity 2 whilst intentionally limiting me to less than Inifinity 1?

0 Ratings
flatpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

ocukgilly: I had a chat with the networky dude at my workplace regarding BT infinity, mainly for the issue I was having but i think this might be relevant.

The connection needs stability, so if the phone line somehow interrupts it, there is an incremental reduction in the rate until a stable speed is acquired.  In my instance, i think I have a dodgy line thats just gotten worse over the christmas period.

The rate cap you are experiencing could be the same synch process that is reducing the rate to get the most stable connection it can without causing dropouts.  I believe this is what the hard reset is intended to clear.  It should work both ways though and could increase with a stable connection.  I think thats why a period of 48 hours from the initial installation is required.

I've gone ahead and bouth a single gang extension and a 15m cat 5 cable, so i can keep the router in the  hallway next to the master socket.  I'm hoping over the course of the weekend that I see an improvement (via the stabilization process / synch process).  If it doesn't improve the issue will definitely be the phone line to the house.

0 Ratings
flatpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Alternatively, if it is the router and it is still within warranty, you should be able to get a replacement. I would request that through the online chat though. I've always found the online chat route to be most productive when dealing with bt support
0 Ratings
ocukgilly
Message 14 of 15

Thanks 🙂

The router is out of warranty, but I'm out of contract too so either I'll be looking at a new one or I'll be looking at a new service provider. Expecting a call from BT 2nd line this afternoon after the online chat failed.

My router is already next to the master socket so that shouldn't be a problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

If you re-contract with BT you can make it a condition of the re-contract that you get a new Homehub. Call the Options Team on 0800.800.030 or you could buy your own router.

If you have a white Openreach modem you can use any router that has a WAN port that connects to the modem. Suitable routers start about £25 upwards.

If you don't have a modem, all in one VDSL modem/routers start at about £70.

0 Ratings